15- It's Happening

1 week later

Elena's POV

"See you tonight. Love you." He kisses my forehead as I mumble a reply, half asleep curled up under the duvets. Almost as soon as the door closes behind him, my head returns to my pillow and I fall back asleep into my deep, peaceful slumber, thankful that I don't have to get up yet. 

Speaking of which, Layla clearly had other plans this morning. I'm jolted awake by the sound of Layla stirring from the baby monitor. I sigh gently before pushing the duvet off me and hoisting myself out of bed, albeit with great difficulty with my swollen stomach. 

"Good morning, Layla." She smiles at the sound of my voice and grips the bars of her cot intensely. "How are you this morning?" I open her blinds, allowing the bright sunlight to seep into the room. I laugh as she squints and holds her arm across her forehead in an attempt to shade her eyes. 

"It's very sunny today isn't it?" Her sleepy smile warms my heart as I lift her from the cot and cradle her against my body. 

She leans down and gently pats my stomach. "Ba, Ba." This has been her morning routine ever since I started to show, and it has never failed to bring a smile to my face. 

"Baby says 'good morning' to you too, munchkin." I kiss her temple. "Come on, let's get some breakfast in you." 

A few hours later 

My mother came over a few hours ago to help me out with Layla, and I have quite literally never been more grateful for an extra pair of hands. As well as a body that can move quick enough to keep a one-year-old out of trouble (something that I seem to be struggling with at the moment).

"Mum do you want-," I abruptly stop and look down, becoming acutely away of the warm sensation running down my leg.
"Um, Mum?"
"Yeah?"
"My water just broke." I look down at the small puddle on the floor, the liquid seeping into the carpet.

"What?" She appears from the kitchen, looks me up and down. In that moment she reminds of a deer startled by headlights. "Oh, gosh." She rushes to my side almost immediately.

"Okay," I mutter to myself. "Okay."

"Right, we'll ring Stefan and we're going to get you to the hospital. Layla!" She puts her arm around my back as we walk across the living room. "Come on, sweetie. Let's go on an adventure!"

I grimace at the pain in my abdomen before picking up my pre-packed hospital bag and following my mum and daughter out of the door. As soon as Layla's strapped in and we're moving, I ring Stefan to let him know that his shift is about to be cut short. He picks up after two rings.

"Elena? Everything okay?"

"Um, yeah. Nothing much. My water just broke, that's all."

"What? You are the only person I know to brush that off as nothing."

"Well, you get used to it," I laugh and hear his laugh on the other end. I already feel a lot more relaxed than I did with Layla. This being my second time and with this baby not being early combined has made me feel a lot more relaxed and calm. At least I know what's coming this time.

"Okay, I'll meet you out front. Are you okay? How're you feeling?"

"I'm fine, don't worry about me. I'll see you in a bit."

"Okay, baby. Love you."

"Love you too, bye."

It's another ten minute drive before my mum haphazardly parks outside the hospital. I get the feeling she's a lot more nervous than I am. As she's getting out of the car to get Layla out, I notice Stefan coming towards the car with a wheelchair.