Just Confess-Hvitserk Ragnarsson

Summary: requested by @ocheewa: 'Helloooo again. So here is my idea: (Y/N) is a maid from Aslaug and is secretly in love with Hvitserk (and so is he). They always flirt, make jokes, (Y/N) also watches them train. And then one day they are alone and he takes this opportunity?'

Meanings: (Y/N)= Your name

Warnings: None

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Patting down the pillows on the queen's bed, I let out a deep sigh, already feeling tired even though it was still morning. I was lucky with my position, being Queen Alsaug's personal maid; she was kind and fair to me but that didn't mean I never grew tired. As I stood up straight, I felt like I was being watched. Slowly turning around, I was startled by Hvitserk's presence.

"Prince Hvitserk, I did not realise you were there. Forgive me for being so rude." I apologised as I curtsied.

"Oh, don't let me stop you from doing your work. I was actually enjoying the view." he smirked.

I smiled a little, blushing at the remark. We had been going on like this for quite some time. He was certainly a charmer though I had not seen him be like this with other women, not since I had started to reciprocate my feelings. I had seen Hvitserk grow into a handsome man, he had pulled me in even before he spoke to me. I remember how shocked I was when he first spoke to me; at first I assumed that he just wanted me to warm his bed though soon discovered that this was something more. The constant flirting and long talks showed me that but I hoped he would tell me his true feelings, there was no way I would do it.

"Will you be at the feast tonight?" he asked me even though he already knew the answer.

"As long as the queen is." I picked up the old bed sheets, walking towards him."Perhaps you could save me a dance?"

He nodded."Perhaps I will."

Feasts were always an exciting time. It was like a little game between the Prince and I; how far could we really go with the 'harmless' flirting? People could be watching, some could assume something. That just made it all exhilarating. I never used to be like this, I had always been shy, until Hvitserk started this whole thing; something changed when I was around him. Even though I was merely Aslaug's maid, she still wanted me to dress finely to a certain extent, meaning I wasn't looking like a sack of vegetables in front of her son.

There was a part of me that hoped something would happen. Perhaps Aslaug would see what we had, maybe step in and push us closer together. But that would never happen, she would want him to marry off to a princess. I was a mere maid, it could not happen and that broke my heart. Who else was out there for me?

I poured a cup of mead for Aslaug, trying to keep a happy face as I watched everyone in the room. Seeing everyone come together was always special. But if course my eyes kept going back to one person in particular and they would stare back, a lot more confident than I. Aslaug's attention was mainly on Ivar, giving me a chance to talk to my secret love.

"(Y/N), you should have a drink with me." Hvitserk said as he held out a cup to me.

"I'm sorry my prince, but I only take orders from your mother." I smirked.

"Well, she only wants her sons to be happy. So by denying me, you are also denying your queen as well as upsetting her."

It didn't take much convincing."If it will make you happy."

He pulled out a chair for me opposite him."It would make me extremely happy."

I did as he asked, pouring myself some mead as well as topping up his cup. We clinked them together, never losing eye contact, even as we blinked.

"So, Prince Hvitserk, I suppose you'll have a raid approaching soon?" I started the conversation.

"I hope so. But I want to go somewhere I have not yet travelled, I want to explore more lands and bring back treasures for my people. Perhaps even a little something for you."

I had lost count as to many times I had blushed."That is very kind of you. But what if I don't want you to go?"

"And why would that be?"

"What if you were to get hurt? Or worse?"

"You sound like my mother."

"Well I am with her most of the day. I've probably picked up a few things."

The music in the room suddenly changed from a calm, melodic sound to an upbeat rhythm; everyone cheered and immediately got up to dance. As I watched, I hadn't noticed Hvitserk stand up until he offered out his hand to me.

"Hvitserk, I don't think-"

"You asked for a dance, remember?"

Hesitantly taking his hand, I was suddenly nervous. All those people dancing, all those people watching, it was a lot, especially if the queen was one of those people.

"Relax, it's just us." Hvitserk whispered to me as he piled me closer.

I just nodded, trying to put on a brace face. At first I was still tense, even in his arms, but eventually I began to forget about all those around me. Like he said, it was just us. All the time we were dancing I kept laughing, unable to stop smiling. The butterflies in my stomach remained though in a good way. My worries were gone, it was such a freeing feeling. After dancing through many, many songs, Hvitserk suddenly stopped.

"I...I want to speak with you."

I was confused."You are speaking to me."

Hvitserk realised his mistake."No, I mean alone. Would you take a walk with me?"

I answered him by looping my arm with his before he guided us out of the hall. The cool night hit us, a lovely feeling against our hot bodies. No words were exchanged between us as we walked. My mind started to think of the many possible things he would want to talk about. Was it a serious matter? Was he going to try and stop all of this? Or maybe he just really wanted us alone? He took us just to the outskirts of the village, sitting in the field full of overgrown flowers as the stars shone down on Earth. This was a beautiful place, I used to go there as a little girl; Hvitserk remembered that.

"Hvitserk, are you alright? I don't think I've ever seen you so quiet." I commented as we sat on the ground.

He put his furs around me."I have never felt any better in all my life. I....I feel like a different person."

"What do you mean?"

"I am not good with my words. But when I am around you, I feel warmer, happier. I wake up each morning and my first thought is you. Every time I make a decision, you turn up in my mind. You have become my everything."

I was shocked by his words."Hvitserk, I...I really don't know what to say."

"I do. What we have is not some little affair. (Y/N)," he held my face in is hands, his eyes piercing mine,"you mean everything to me. It hurts to not be with you."

"You mean that? I'm not just some maid you tease to lead to something else?"

"No. And you are not just some maid, you're (Y/N), the woman I love and want to spend the rest of my life with."

Hvitserk pulled me to him, kissing me deeply. I did the same, my hands gripping onto his tunic. Who cared about the problems that may come out way? What the people would think, what the queen would think? This was it, this was the moment I had been waiting for. He made me feel something, Hvitserk treated me as his equal. And he loved me, just as much as I loved him.