An Unforeseen Future-Hvitserk Ragnarsson

Summary: When Hvitserk returns from a raid, he brings back more than his usual treasures. His wife faces a dilemma, a huge choice that could shape their future forever.

Characters: Hvitserk Ragnarsson x Reader, mentions of Ubbe, Ivar and Harald

Meanings: (Y/N)=Your name

Warnings: Angst, cheating, swearing, jealousy, mention of polygamy

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Standing at the docks had become somewhat of a yearly routine for me. Hvitserk always took the opportunity to go raiding, being the true Viking man he was; he would never turn down the opportunity, and I always encouraged these actions, knowing that it was in his nature to venture off and explore the world. Of course it got lonely, how could it not when almost everyone you knew sailed away to foreign lands no one knew about? I often worried before and during these raids about him, praying to all the Gods that everyone returned safe, especially my Hvitserk. He was a wild man, loving the thrill of adrenaline, which sometimes made me sick with worry. But I knew my husband, and I could see how much he loved exploring.

The ships were finally here, all who had remained in Kattegat gathered along the shore and docks, waiting for what seemed like a whole day. Men and women piled off the vessels, some immediately running to their loved ones whilst others hauled off the treasures they had found. Peering over everyone's heads, I was somehow caught off guard by Hvitserk, who launched himself at me out of no where, his arms tightly gripping onto my body. I had no chance to get my words out as he started kissing me, deeply at first before peppering my entire face with smaller, shorter kisses as I laughed.

"I don't know why I keep leaving you, it's too much to bear." Hvitserk breathed out, pulling our faces closer together.

My hands held onto his."I'll remind you that you said that before the next raid."

"Were you lonely?"

"Always." I teased, though he seemed to think I was serious. I smiled."Come on, we need to get home, I need to see how much you really missed me."

After our blissful reunion, we laid in our bed holding onto each other as Hvitserk began reciting his tales from the raid. I watched in admiration, loving the way he spoke with such passion. We had only raided twice together, but after thinking I was pregnant I stopped, unfortunately being wrong multiple times. The seer prophesied that Hvitserk and I would indeed have children, confusing us with riddles about the right time and place; we practically had sex everywhere in Kattegat at almost any time. Were we just being impatient?

Like all raids, a huge feast was held in honour of the men and women who raided, celebrating their safe return along with the riches they brought back with them. Dressed as a prince and his princess should, I playfully scolded Hvitserk as he kept grabbing at me, not afraid to show affection in public. I was in the middle of teasing him by denying his kisses when we were suddenly interrupted by a shield maiden.

"Excuse me prince Hvitserk, princess (Y/N)," she bowed her head in respect,"I do not mean to intrude."

I smirked at Hvitserk before looking at her."No, don't worry. What can we do for you?"

"I was just going to congratulate the prince on this successful raid. He was very brave throughout it."

"Thank you Siv. I too saw how you fought, no one could miss it."

My smirk fell, turning into a frown."Oh, you two know each other?"

Yes, you could say we became good friends during the journey before exploring the land together, she had my back, and I hers."