Attitude Problem

"Hoping one of those senior boys will wink at you and say "you know I haven't seen you around before..." cause when you're FIFTEEN!!!!" I screened at the top of my lungs to match the volume on the stereo. Old school T-Swift was always a bop, especially on the first day of high school.

"Hadley, sweetheart, could you please turn that down?" My mother asked turning it down for me. She was a great mother, she just didn't understand how crucial listening Fifteen by Taylor Swift was on a girl's first day of high school.

She pulled our car into the line and I hopped out with my book bag and lunch box.

"Good luck, you'll do great!" She reassured me as I walked hesitantly for the door.

I wasn't nervous; anxious would be a better word. I had heard the rumors of my high school: the girls were expected to be submissive and the boys dominant. If you didn't fit into those criteria, you were an outlier.

The boys in middle school had slowly been preparing for this, becoming more and more dominant as the years progressed. The boys who played sports learned it through the high schoolers during practice, and the boys who didn't simply had to catch on themselves. With the boy's dominance increasing, the girl's submission began to increase with the years as well. The simple comment of "That skirt is too short, don't wear it again," from the right guy would cause a girl to burn said skirt in the fireplace when she got home.

I wasn't like that, but I wasn't an outlier. I had fire, as I like to call it, and sass/attitude, as the boys liked to call it. Whatever.

I had been told "No man will put up with your attitude in high school."

To which I would respond "Good, no girl will put up with you overcompensating for your small dick by acting like a huge one."

That and similar comments would earn me mumbles of "If I were training you or you were mine I'd smack you..." type things. Anyways...

I pulled the brown, chipped doors to the high school to reveal a museum of chaos: people running in the hallway, couples engaging in an early morning make out sesh, and kids playing their instruments loudly outside of the band room. I was expecting a little more "We're all in This Together" type vibes, but this works too.

As I made my way through the hallway I saw boys and girls standing together in groups. The boys loudly talked about Fortnight victories as the girls quietly chatted behind them.

As I approached one group, I heard one girl yell out "Shit!" relatively loudly. The muscular boy behind her turned around and smacked her butt. Well that was weird. Besides "slap butt Friday" the boys never did that at middle school.

I took a deep breath and continued through the hallway up to the 300s hallway where my friends sat up against some lockers.

I loved my group of friends! They always kept me interested and laughing. There was my best friend, Callie, and the boy who always was with our group because of her, Lincoln. The two were obviously in love,
and had been for years, but refused to admit it. There was also Lynn, Becca, and Tonni. Though I was friends with just about everyone in my grade, these were my people. I plopped down beside Callie.

"Good morning, Had! I thought you'd be late on the first day," she joked.

"Nah, decided to make a good first impression. Tomorrow though..." we laughed.

All of the sudden, a tall, average build boy comes up in front of our group, "That's my locker you're in front of, move." He said to Tonni, the quietest of our group. Here's another thing about me, in addition to having an "attitude" I really don't take much crap, especially from rude people.

"Do you know how to say please? Obviously not because there was a perfect situation and you didn't use it," I said standing up and looking this boy in the eyes, a big no-no.

He smirked, "I'm guessing you haven't been paired yet. Whoever gets you will have a hell of a fun time tryna rid you of that there attitude." I rolled my eyes. On their way back, I glanced over one of his friends standing behind him. Super tall, probably 6'5 or so, athletic build, cute face, and nice blue eyes. He was cute, but the look he was giving me screamed "prick."

"Hadley, it's okay." Tonni said standing and moving away from the locker, "It's time for class anyways." I nodded as the bell rang loudly. We headed our separate directions and walked to class, Callie and I walking in the same direction.

"That tall one was looking at you." She said to me.

"Yeah because I stood up to his douche friend." I said as we made our way to our first periods door.

"Maybe pissing all the boys off before first period wouldn't be your smartest move." She reminded me as we found two seats together near the back of the classroom. I nlaughed and nodded in agreement. I would try to cool the sass for the rest of the day.

In addition to the obvious first day nerves, the boys seemed jittery. I noticed a few of them turned sideways so they could bounce their knees without hitting them on the desk. I brushed that off though.

The rest of the day was uneventful as I tried to keep my brattiness at it's minimum. I tried to avoid eye contact like I had learned, but I did not bow my head in submission on the occasions I caught eyes with a boy. They would give me a glare-like, disapproving look before it broke.

Finally, it was my favorite part of the school day. Lunch. Callie and I got our trays quickly and found a seat in the far left table. We texted our group chat where we were sitting and waited, beginning to eat our lunch. Lincoln and his friend, Dylan, came and sat down in front of Callie and I, respectively. We began to make small talk, discussing our first day and how crazy we thought our teachers would be when all of the sudden...

A/N: Hi there! First of all, thank ͏y͏o͏u for reading my story! I will try to update it as much as possible, especially if interest is shown in it.

Also, I know the title, description, and picture suck, I am trying to think of a new one and am therefore TAKING SUGGESTIONS FOR A NEW TITLE!!!