2

Elliot placed a black coffee on Olivia's desk. "Thanks, El."

"No problem. Figured you'd need it." Elliot grabbed a chair and sat across from Olivia, watching as she filled out paperwork.

Olivia could feel him staring at her. "Just ask already," she said still writing, but knowing exactly what Elliot wanted to know.

"So what happened last night?" Elliot was curious as to why Zola had been acting out lately. She'd always been like a daughter to him and a member of his family. His kids loved her. Kathy loved her. He couldn't understand how a child could be surrounded by so much love, yet be so unhappy.

Olivia explained that Zola never intended on going to school the previous day. She and a couple of her friends went to a party. They got drunk and a couple other kids were fighting and the cops were called. An officer recognized Zola and brought her to the precinct. "She said nothing else other than she did it because she wanted to. Anyway, she's grounded. No friends, no phone, no TV. I took her laptop away too."

"I'm sorry, Liv," he sighed, running his hand over his face. "I'm sure it's just a phase. It'll pass soon."

"Yeah, let's hope so."

Just before she completed her paperwork, Captain Cregan announced that they had case.

The two detectives grabbed their coats and started on their way. Elliot tapped his partner's shoulder. "Forgot something."

Olivia took her coffee from him and smiled. "You always have my back."

"Always."

*

"Hey Zola!" Abby called out. Zola turned around to see her red haired friend running down the hallway towards her. Abby was a skater girl. She always had a snapback on, skinny jeans, Vans. She also loved piercings and had even already gotten her first tattoo; a nice skull on her forearm. Abby was everything Zola wasn't.

"So what happened yesterday? Did the cops come?"

"Hm, you'd know if you had stayed. You left me there!"

Abby shrugged. "Sorry, you need to run faster. I wasn't risking myself."

"Yeah, but we went to that party together. It was your idea! My mom was so angry."

Abby rolled her eyes. "Look, you're still alive so you're fine. No one cares what your mom thinks! You had fun, right?" Zola nodded. "Okay then, what's the problem? Not like she's there for you anyway." Zola nodded again.

"Yeah, you're right."

"Say, can you do me a favor?"

"What?"

Abby looked around to make sure other students weren't listening. "I got a pound of weed in my bag, but Mr. Bloomington doesn't allow us to take bookbags in."

"Yeah, so?"

"Will you hold it for me?"

Zola thought about it. It 's only for an hour. Besides, nothing happens at our school anyway. "Yeah, sure," she blurted, against her better judgement. Olivia had always told her to stay far, far away from drugs, but Abby was her new friend and she didn't want to let her down.

They went in the bathroom and Zola stuffed the illegal substance into her bookbag. They were about to leave when Abby stopped to warn her.

"That's worth a lot of money. Weed isn't something you play with, okay? I'm trusting you."

"Okay. I've got it."

*

When Olivia opened the door to her apartment, she could hear Zola's music blaring from her room. "Zola!" Olivia shouted as she placed her keys on the counter. "Zola, honey, I'm home!"