The Ones Who Walked Away From Omelas

A/N: I know that you all know the story of Omelas, but I want to re-tell it and serve as an introduction for this short story. I also added a few scenes. Thank you :)

*

JEONGYEON'S POV

Few weeks had passed since I found real magic in my life--that was when I found myself smiling and laughing with someone whom I used to love. It's a bitter experience for me since it's a kind of relationship that I didn't want to experience, yet I still did. I guess it's an inevitable experience for each individual who is inlove. There will always be those relationships which causes bad luck to people like me.

I heaved a deep sigh as I step out of the coffee shop. I observed everyone who is passing by me. It's winter and everyone is in their winter clothes. Some people are wearing earmuffs and is rushing towards the closing supermarket stall. It's only a few days from now before Christmas and people are sure busy buying their loved ones gifts.

I hugged my book with me and and joined the crowd. I walked in a slow pace because I was watching these kids playing snowballs in the park. I don't know where they are getting those laughters and smiles even though our town is full of frowned faces, corrupted people and broken hearts. Our town is the ugliest in this state. It's full of unhappy people with unhappy thoughts.

I suddenly remembered this kid whom I used to play with during my childhood days. He has this slick black hair that suits him. His eyesmiles are the best and I would die just to see it again. It's been 20 years since I last saw him and thinking about him makes me want to go back in time. He's my best friend.

Eversince I moved here, I lost contact with him. I never got the chance to talk to him again. I tried searching for him through Facebook and other social networking sites, but I never found him. I miss our memories, though.

Someone pushed me, so I stumbled down and landed on the pile of white snow. No one dared to help me to stand up, so I stood up on my own and brushed the dirt off from my clothes. I continued walking until I reached my unit.

I share this unit with my sister, Seungyeon. She's a painter and has an art gallery. She makes the best paintings. She does different types of art forms such as impressionism, abstract expressionism, realistic art and the most trendy today: lipstick art. It's the kind of art wherein she puts on lipstick on her lips and kisses the canvas multiple times to finish her work. Her first lipstick art was me. She made a portrait of me using her lips and her lipsticks. She bought about 500 pieces of lipsticks that time to finish that portrait of me. She then gave it to me as a gift. I clearly remember her lips that moment when she handed it to me. It's a bit swollen and I believe that it aches a lot. After that, I told her not to do it anymore, but she didn't do it. She told me that will just do it occassionally.

"I'm home, unnie." I shouted as soon as I stepped in. I placed my book on the side table and looked for her. I can smell the aroma of coffee beans inside our unit. Maybe she's making coffee for us since she knows that we both can't live without coffee.

I saw her inside the kitchen with a big ass canvas. There are lots of coffee stains everywhere and the aroma of the beans is stronger. It makes my stomacj crave.

"What are you doing?" I asked her. She peeked out and smiled at me.

"Coffee art. I used coffee as my base this time."

"Okay. Last time, lipsticks and now, coffee?" I asked with a bitchy tone. She chuckled and put her paintbrush down. She stood up from her stool and stretched out her arms. I looked at her painting. It's a painting of a guy and a girl standing under an umbrella, both laughing. I can tell that the season is fall. "Where did that idea come from?"