II

tyler sat in the park, checking his watch for what was possibly the 100th time.

his foot tapped against the cold cement, more anxious than ever.

from the distance he could hear quick footsteps and faint crying. tyler stood up, could it be his date he'd waited hours for?

no, it was another kid his age stumbling into the park quickly. oh god, he may be in danger or something.

tyler put the bouqet of roses he'd been holding down and rushed to the guy's side.

"hey, hey, calm down," he tried to soothe the other.

he jumped, trembling, "get away!"

"i'm not here to hurt you. my name is tyler and i just wanted to see if you were alright. are you in any danger at all?"

he slowly shook his head, "u-uh no..my name is josh."

"okay, well nice to meet you, josh. what's wrong?" he asked.

josh wiped his nose on his sleeve, "m-my boyfriend ch-cheated on me," he let out several hiccups.

tyler frowned, "i'm so sorry.." he sort of knew how the other felt.

"i-it's okay," it really wasn't, but since his heart now rested in a pit in his stomach he had no room to care anymore.

"i know this may be a shitty thing to say-- but i get how you feel. i had a date who was supposed to meet me here over two hours ago, i guess you can see he never showed up," tyler said as he looked down.

josh met tyler's eyes, "at least i'm not the only loser," he joked.

he let a soft laugh pass his lips, "i guess not. i wouldn't mind having a fellow loser around to even me out."

"then count me in," josh smiled softly as he nudged tyler's arm.

it was hard to believe a bond could start to form over being losers, but nothing is impossible.

"can i have your number? i could use someone to talk to," josh asked.

tyler nodded, "of course, sure," he gave josh his phone number, entering it into the other's phone. "do you need a ride home?"

"oh, no thanks. i live a few blocks away. no biggie," josh assured.

"alright. well, see ya loser," tyler chuckled.

"bye!" josh smiled as he started to walk away.