15 - Changes - تبدیلیاں

"The secret of a happy marriage remains a secret." - Henry Youngman

I'd been walking for around half an hour when I reached it. Daniyal's house. It looked relatively similar, not much had changed. I don't even know how I knew where to go, every step just seemed more familiar. The house was long and narrow, perhaps only twelve feet wide at the front, but it stretched some thirty feet back like a giant shoe box. It was two stories high and had a one story extension at the rear for the kitchen. The wooden framed sash windows were propped open with sticks and the brick work, perhaps once a jaunty yellow, looked dirty with a year of grime. A small rose garden had been planted in front, and although it had obviously once been carefully planned and loved, it was now riddled with weeds.

I looked left and right before carefully making my way down the side of the house where I knew Daniyal's window was. I was cautious to call for him, a lot could have changed in a year. And why would he not have visited us? Something must've been happening back home. But I needed to see him. The whole way here all I could think about was him. I looked down at the white and green bracelet he'd given me exactly a year ago. We will see each other again.

Ignoring the enormous possibility that he wouldn't answer, I whistled to the window, that was hanging wide open. The shrill sound travelled up to the window as I waited for a reply. There was none, I was barely surprised to be honest. I looked longingly at the window, my head bowed in dismay as I received no answer. I longed to see his familiar smile, to hear his gorgeous laugh, to stare into his emerald eyes.  I debated whether I should shout his name, I mean, how obvious is a whistle anyway? In the end I decided not to and just stood crestfallen at the window, pinching myself for even thinking this would work. I longed to see his face, to hear his voice.

"Aqsa?"

I looked up, suddenly, and saw Daniyal's head sticking out of the window, the light breeze blowing his hair every which way. It was him, it was really, truly him. Looking different, but a good different. A great different. My heart thumped in my chest as I stared at his beautiful face. It was really him. I opened my mouth to speak but he'd stolen the voice from my mouth. I just stood, my mouth gaping open like a goldfish, staring at him. 
"Wait there!" He called. 
His head suddenly disappeared from view as I waited for him to greet me. I stood, eagerly anticipating our first meet in a year. I pulled my dupatta forward, laying out the creases, and patted down my lilac kameez, brushing dirt off of it. I still looked tired and messy, but it was the best I could do. I fiddled with the bracelet he had got me a year ago; he was right, he would meet me again. My heart was practically dancing in my chest. 

When I saw Daniyal turning the corner of the house and running to me, I couldn't contain myself. I ran up to him, practically jumping at him, and let him lift me in the air as we hugged each other. I wrapped my arms around his neck as he hugged me back and dropped me gently on the floor, though not letting go of me completely. I let tears fall down my cheeks as I hugged him tightly. I breathed in the familiar scent of him, I didn't want to let go. Suddenly I heard his lovely, low voice say, "You're choking me!"
I let go of him, laughing myself silly, and letting him breath. He was laughing and smiling at me. Such a beautiful combination. I let the wonderful sound of his laugh fill my ears, my heart swelling in size. I'd missed that laugh so much.

I couldn't stop staring at his emerald eyes, they vaguely reminded me of my bedroom, back in Skardu. There was definitely more than one reason for me painting the room that colour. As I almost dozed off dreaming of his eyes, he shook me back to reality. "You okay?" He smiled, squeezing my arm. I secretly longed for him to keep his arm there. 

"Yep. Yes, I am. I'm better than okay!" I giggled. I let myself droop onto his chest and he held me gently, stroking my hair back. "I'm so sorry I couldn't visit you...I wanted to. I really wanted to. I couldn't stop thinking about you!" His cheeks suddenly flushed red, thinking that he had said to much. I chuckled quietly. He couldn't stop thinking about me...He couldn't stop thinking about me! I hung onto his shoulder, thinking about the letter he had sent me back in November. "Why didn't you come? Hazeema and I were beginning to worry." I asked. He tapped the bracelet on my arm and winked, "Only a matter of time."
I giggled, "I really missed you, silly! Don't worry me like that!" I opened my mouth to tell him about the nightmare I had had before thinking better of it. "I'm sorry, it's been pretty busy here..." He shrugged, not letting go. "How'd you mean?" I asked, lifting my head up from his shoulder to look him in the eye. He paused, looking to the ground for comfort. "You'll find out soon, I'm sure."