By Your Side

Plot requested by @Nix7303 

It was quiet inside the wooden house. The only sounds were the occasional night-time noise. Crickets chirping, the hooting of owls, sometimes even the howl of a wolf in the distance. Inside the house, it was completely silent. Everybody were sleeping peacefully in their rooms, gathering the energy for the next day's events.

However, as the clock started to tick past midnight, you could hear shuffling in one of the rooms. Shuffling, shortly followed by faint whimpers.

Jesse was tossing and turning in her sleep. She had completely kicked her blanket off the bed, which now lay discarded on the floor.

She mumbled inaudible words in her sleep. If you listened closing, you could hear her begging for it to stop, pleading for somebody to end the pain.

This silent torture of the young girl went on for almost an hour. Her friends were all asleep in their own rooms, completely unaware that anything was happening.

Suddenly Jesse sat bolt upright in bed, gasping loudly. Beads of sweat were making its way down the side of her face, her eyes wide in shock.

She sat like that for a few seconds breathing heavily, trying to take in her surroundings. Then, within the time span of a few seconds, Jesse silently

broke down.

She lay back down on the bed, burying her face in the pillow and crying softly. She kept down any noise, not waking anybody else in the house.

Jesse didn't use to have nightmares very often. She was known for sleeping like a rock, sometimes waking up and not even being aware of the fact that it rained, or snowed during the night.

But, whenever she did have a nightmare, the two people and the pig she shared a room with would've been by her side in an instance. Axel would lift her onto his lap like she was a child, cradling her for comfort. Olivia would be telling her that everything was OK, that nothing was there to hurt her. Reuben would snuggle into her chest, licking the tears off her face in a comforting matter. And after ten minutes of comfort, she would be snuggled in between her two friends, with Reuben in her arms, sound asleep once more.

Well, all of that changed now.

The Wither Storm was unleashed. And after weeks of battling it, Jesse defeated it.

But everything came with a price. The price of saving the world, was the life of her beloved pet pig, Reuben.

Reuben was fatally injured, and died in Jesse's arms on the last day of the battle. She was not only heartbroken, but also somewhat traumatized. Before Reuben, Jesse's never had to deal with death or grief before.

Now here she was, unable to sleep through a single night. It's been two months since the battle. Jesse now lived with all five of her friends in a house that was built for them by the grateful townspeople.

It was a pretty large wooden house, located in the exact same spot where their tree house used to be. Everybody had their own rooms here, unlike back in the tree house. Meaning nobody was woken up by Jesse's muffled cries, or consistent tossing and turning in bed.

Jesse, being the kind and selfless person that she is, never went to woke up Axel or Olivia to ask for their support. Instead she'd either try and fall back asleep on her own, or stay awake until morning came.

Jesse felt too embarrassed in the mornings to tell her friends that she had trouble sleeping. She'd just have a few cups of strong coffee, and go on with the day. Nobody suspected anything, because she was so cheerful and happy during the days.