Chapter 4

Caspian pondered that discovery for a while. Never had he ever thought of a solution like that. It was so simple, yet so genius.

Caspian's mother strode into the library a moment after the statement from Farah, gliding elegantly across the carpeted floor. She wore a neat navy blue gown that rippled across the ground like an ocean, the sleeves puffed with ribbons dancing down her arms. The Queen's hair was in a neat bun, and atop her head sat a golden tiara.

Farah had gotten up quickly in the presence of the royal and bowed to the Queen in respect. Caspian only glanced at his mother, at which she proceeded to give him a kind yet stern look. As soon as she had entered, though, she was back out, leading Caspian through the halls of the palace. They walked in silence for a while, Caspian knowing his mother wanted to say something, but he, himself, didn't dare speak up in case he said anything wrong.

"Why were you in there with young Farah?" The Queen finally asked Caspian politely, though judgment seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. Did his mother have something against Farah? Was this why she had taken him out of the library, where he was actually enjoying his time?

"I was teaching her to read, mother. She's very good, and she made an excellent point today about-" he stopped as his mother fell dead in her tracks.

"You.... what?" She asked stiffly.

"I... I-I was teaching her how to read...?" Caspian said softly, not understanding why the phrase came out as a question. Why did his mother suddenly seemed so agitated?

"Caspian, my child, do you understand who she is?" His mother asked him, her body still, stiff and tense. It was clear she was trying to stay poised and calm, but was beginning to break apart. She seemed to be hinting towards something, something that Caspian wouldn't understand until a while later.

"Yes, she's my friend and-"

"No." His mother interrupted him once more. "She is not your friend, she is your maid. There is a very big difference, my love." The Queen was clearly trying to be nice, but nevertheless judgement dripped in her tone. 

Caspian stared at his mother, innocence filling his hazel eyes. "But she's very nice, and very smart and I think-"

"Caspian! You don't seem to understand," The Queen interrupted, clearly trying not to shout as the child kept insisting on the fact that the servant was his friend. "She, is a servant girl. You, are the heir to the throne. I do not want to hear that my son is teaching some... some random girl how to read. Have you seen the way she talks to you? She acts as if you are just another commoner! You are a Prince!" The Queen snapped, now glaring at her son. "Now, I want you to stay away from her. I don't want any interactions between you two, besides you giving her orders."

Caspian was about to cut back in when his mother continued with her fit of anger. "You are the King to be for God's sake! If you allow some servant to boss you around how are you going to manage a whole kingdom without it collapsing! Now, this is it! I don't want to hear any more discussion about that girl unless she has disobeyed an order." The Queen seemed to be going insane with rage, though she showed it in a quiet, hissing way.

And with that, Caspian and his mother resumed walking. Caspian, who was trying to keep away tears that stung his eyes, kept his head bowed, while his mother still fumed with frustration. She was wrong. Farah was not some servant girl. She was his friend, his best friend, his only friend. How could his mother just push her aside like she was some object that did chores? It just wasn't right, and he knew it.

Caspian's thoughts were put to an end as he was steered into his father's study. Caspian entered first, his mother following close behind. She pulled the door shut behind her, and looked at the King with a sort of authority. She took no more time to wait as she strode over to stand next to her husband, then telling Caspian to sit.