ѕtαrѕ ín thє cítч

Stars in the City sung by Old Dominion

"Oh, Eugene," Rapunzel slightly gasped. "I left my purse at home. Can we go back and get it, please?" She asked, brushing her brown locks behind her ears. Eugene groaned, rolling his brown eyes.

"I suppose. I'll make a u-turn on 42nd street." He agreed.

"Thanks." She blushed, glancing out the window. They stopped at the stop light, waiting in the turning lane. Eugene tapped his fingers on the steering wheel. He wanted to be there on time, but if she really wanted her purse, he was willing to go back.

The light turned green and Eugene quickly turned the wheel to make the u-turn when a red car caught his eye. "Eugene." Rapunzel gasped, her hand quickly gripping his shoulder.

He slammed on the brakes, barely missing the car that flew through the red light. They let out a sigh of relief as they slammed back into their seats. He lightly chuckled, running his fingers through his hair. "That was a close one."

"No kidding." She agreed, though her green eyes were still wide with fear. Eugene yanked the wheel, turning them around, only, his coffee cup teetered in the cup holder, spilling all over him.

"Shit!" He shouted, feeling the hot coffee land on his lap. Rapunzel gasped, reaching over to pick up the cup and place it back in the cup holder. She popped open the glove compartment and quickly handed him some napkins. "Aw! They're ruined now." He grumbled.

"Naw, they're better now," She replied. Huh? He snapped his head to look at her, confusion present on his sculpted face. She softly smiled, kissing his cheek. "It's just a matter of perspective."

Eugene let out a small laugh and shook his head. Matter of perspective. Whatever. "You just have to have an open mind, Eugene. It's the little imperfections that make 'em unique."

xxx

The rain pattered against the window. They were supposed to go out for a nice dinner in the local garden this evening, but that obviously wasn't going to happen. It was too wet and Eugene didn't really want to spend the night getting soaked and hiding under an umbrella.

So Rapunzel decided to make a nice, little meal for the two of them. Although Eugene was upset, she wanted to try to make him happy. After all, she did love him. She hated seeing him look so down.

"Ain't this rain nice?" She called from the kitchen.

"Nice?" Eugene scoffed, peeking his brown eyes up from the newspaper. "It ruined our whole evening, Zel."

"It didn't ruin it. Now we get to spend the night cuddling and watching movies," She replied, shrugging her shoulder. "Plus, now I got to try out this new recipe I've been dying to try."

"Dying?" He teased, a hint of a smirk growing on his face.

"Fine, not dying, Mr. Perfect," She grinned, setting down the dinner plates. "I've been wanting to test it out."

"What happens if we don't like it?" He asked, now setting aside the newspaper and smiling at her.

"Then we order takeout."

xxx

Eugene and Rapunzel decided to head out to the bar. They were going to met a few friends for a night out, but they were the only ones there at the moment. Mutually, they agreed that they could start with out them.

"I'll take whiskey on the rocks. She'll have a margarita." Eugene ordered, already having her order memorized. She lightly giggled, brushing her dark locks behind her.

"Wow, you know me so well." She teased, resting her elbows on the counter.

"Well, I hope so. We've been dating for over two years." He chuckled, taking her hand in his. He gently rubbed his thumb over her knuckles, feeling how soft and small they were. They were adorable. He couldn't help but picture a bright ring on her hand.

"Two years already?" She asked, her green eyes lighting up. Eugene nodded, a smile on his face. "Wow, time really flies when you're with someone you love."

Eugene laughed, pecking her soft lips. She blushed, darting her green eyes to look at the counter in embarrassment. She was just so shy about showing her love for him in public.

Suddenly, her head perked up. "I love this song," she cooed, resting her head in her open hand. She looked back into his brown eyes, mesmerized by them. "Don't sad songs make you smile?"

"No? They're sad, Zel." He lightly laughed. He didn't want to hurt her feelings, but smiling wasn't the point of sad songs.

"Yes, but they're just so emotional. The singer really puts a lot of work into writing out their feelings. You can't help but smile when you hear that they truly mean what they sing." She explained.

The bell in the bar rung, signaling that someone was entering. She turned around, quickly spotting their friends. She grinned, standing up to greet them. She rushed to the door, quickly hugging them all.

"You're a lucky one, Fitzherbert," Hook spoke up, leaning over to talk to his old pal. "She's the kinda girl who could break up a band. She's the only one who can see something in absolutely nothing."

Eugene turned, furrowing his eyebrows at the man. "Huh?"

"Well, take you for example. You aren't much. You've maybe got your looks going for you, but-"

"Yeah, yeah. I get it. I'm not exactly husband material in most people's eyes." Eugene interrupted, rolling his eyes.

"But she must see something like that in you. Otherwise, I'm sure she would have dumped you already."

"She is crazy," Eugene spoke, thinking this through. She was the only one who could somehow see the stars in the city. Spot a diamond in the dust. Find some glitter in the gritty. After all, she was the one who loved the hearts of these old, grumpy men in this bar. "Then I wanna be crazy, too. I wanna see whatever she can. The good in everyone." He declared.

"Then you better hang out with her more often. After all, I can see that she's already rubbing off on ya." Hook chuckled, slapping Eugene's shoulder. As Hook left, Rapunzel returned, planting a kiss on his cheek.

"Oh, isn't this lovely? We're all together again. It's going to be such a fun night." She grinned as Cassandra joined their circle. She glared at Eugene. She never really approved of him for her best friend. She believed that someday he would crush her heart.

Eugene smirked, grabbing onto Rapunzel's hand. "Oh, yes. It is so wonderful to meet my best friend Cassandra again," he leaned over, kissing Cassandra's cheek. "Rapunzel and I have missed you."

Cassandra gasped, wiping her cheek from his slobbery kiss. "Eugene!" She shouted.

"Cassandra!" Rapunzel scolded. "He said he missed you. He was just giving you a friendly kiss like they do in France. Say you're sorry and return the gesture." Rapunzel spoke, standing up for Eugene.

Cassandra groaned, realizing that Eugene was only playing the nice card to earn Rapunzel's appreciation. "Fine," she growled. She leaned over, planing a kiss on Eugene's cheek. "I've missed you terribly, too, Eugene."

Eugene smirked. He could get used to seeing the stars in the city. Especially if it meant annoying the hell out of Cassandra.

~~~~~~~~~~