Chapter 8 - Into A Place Where Thoughts Can Bloom

“What, that’s it?” I ask, looking in disbelief at the house when we finally reach it. It’s only one story, and very small and modern-looking - nothing like the Spanish-style mansions also found on Fisher Lane.

“No wonder this Elena stays hidden,” Harris says. “I bet the homeowner’s association doesn’t agree with her sense of style.”

“Many people don’t, young man,” says the raspy voice from the intercom. Its owner turns out to be a very short old woman, maybe part-Asian or Slavic judging from her high cheekbones and slightly slanted eyes, with Coke-bottle glasses, bowl-cut black hair, and a black business suit with shoulder pads, like she’s an old yuppie or something.

“Are you Elena?” Evan asks.

“Yes,” the woman says. “Elena Montoya. And you are Aidan’s daughter?”

“Evan Michaelsen. This is my sister Adele.”

“Pleased to meet you,” Elena says. “And who are all the others?”

We all introduce ourselves. Elena goes around shaking hands, and, curiously enough, takes a few extra seconds to look at me, of all people. I have to say, I’m more than a bit creeped when she does this. It’s like she’s staring into my soul. Heck, she probably is. All I know about the woman is that she’s not Dark, because I didn’t see her heat signature when she shook my hand.

“All right,” she says. “If you could follow me, I’ll try to fill you all in on the situation. What was Aidan able to tell you?”

“Just to come find you,” Evan says.

“So, nearly nothing, then.” Elena blinks behind her glasses. “This is going to take a great deal more explanation than I thought.” She turns around and leads us into her house, the inside of which is also full of gray metal and glass.

“Okay. So, Miss Michaelsen,” Elena says, turning to Evan for a moment, “your father has told you he works for Severide Industries, right?”

“Don’t tell me that’s all a lie,” Evan says.

“No,” Elena says. “But Severide Industries is not merely your average Silicon Valley tech company. It is a front for a worldwide organization of warlocks, devoted to ensuring the continued survival and coexistence of warlocks and humans. We are called the Healing, Underwater, and Networking Team.”

“HUNT?” Harris asks. I stifle a laugh as I put the initials together in my head too.

“It’s a convoluted name, but it makes sense,” Elena says. “Our group was founded by a doctor, a fisherman, and a software engineer. Yes, I am aware that it sounds like the setup for the sort of joke that involves walking into bars. Believe me, I have heard every variation on that joke before.” From her pursed lips, I can tell she means it.

“And I suppose you have some enemy you’re gonna need to eliminate?” Kevin asks.

“Can I use my Fire arrows on them?” Michelle asks. “I need the extra target practice.”

“Perhaps,” Elena says. “But before I tell you anything else, I need to see if you can handle my testing facility. How many of you are warlocks? A show of hands, please.”

We all raise our hands, except for Adele.

“Excellent,” Elena says. “I need you to break into pairs based on which of you have the most compatible powers. Are there any other Fires besides Miss Dunn here?” No hands this time. “I see. Well, Miss Dunn can go by herself, and the rest of you can pair off like I suggested.”

Adele and Rachel immediately gravitate towards each other. I want to line up with Evan, but Kevin would work better with her because he’s a known Ice. So I go with my fellow Dark, Harris, instead.