Chapter 18 - Can't Ignore The Paranoia

“Um...I actually wanted your ID first, sir,” I say, trying to delay any possible confrontation with this guy as long as possible.

“Oh, I see,” Oscar says, retrieving his pass and passing up his ID instead. He either has no idea that I recognize him, or he’s just that good a master spy for the Scalers - which I’m starting to suspect is exactly what he is - that he can hide all evidence of his thoughts from his face, and keep a neutral expression at all times.

His ID appears to check out - the name it shows is Oscar West. Okay, that’s reasonable. But will his pass check out? I don’t think so. Lo and behold, it doesn’t. For the first time today, I get a pass that emerges from the machine with a red snowflake, not a blue one.

Just to complete the testing, I scan Oscar’s hand, and to my surprise, the results come up as 94% Ice. He sure doesn’t look like your typical Ice warlock, though. His head might be shaved, but his eyebrows are dark, as are his eyes. He’s also pretty short and stocky. He looks more like a Dark, if I had to guess.

“Um...okay. Could you come with me, please?” I turn to Michelle, waving her forward and whispering, “Take over for a bit.”

As I come out of the booth, Oscar walks up to the gate and asks, “Is there a problem?”

I hand him back his pass. “Just a small issue. I’ll take you to the security station, and we’ll see if they can sort it out for us. But don’t worry. I’m sure you’ll be able to get into the palace in no time,” I add with a nervous titter.

“Are you sure?” Oscar says. He moves forward, then stops. “Erm...is someone gonna open the gate, or what?”

“Oh, sorry,” I say. “Michelle, please?” Michelle presses the button to open the gate. “Right this way, Mr. West,” I say, leading Oscar forward to the third checkpoint.

“Ah, Mr. Cross,” Elena says as I enter the tent where she and Ben are sitting and waiting. “Do we have a potential intruder already?”

“Intruder?” Oscar repeats, looking totally flabbergasted. “Who said...who said anything about an intruder? I’m just tryin’ to get into the palace, and this kid says my pass is invalid or some shit like that.”

“I never said anything like that,” I point out. “In fact, I don’t remember pointing out what exactly went wrong, period.”

“I’m just assumin’ it’s my pass, then,” Oscar says, shifting from foot to foot. “I dunno what to say here. I mean, I did everything by the book, so I’m thinkin’ I should be able to get in with no problems, eh?”

Elena and Ben exchange glances. “Jason, explain everything that’s happened,” Ben says.

“Okay,” I say, wringing my hands. “This man gave me his ID, and that seemed to check out. And he’s Ice. But his pass wasn’t good, so that’s why I’m coming to you.”

“What is his name?” Elena asks.

“Oscar West,” Oscar says. “Here, let me prove it to you.” He pulls his ID out to show it to Elena and Ben. They take a look at it, their faces unreadable.

Finally, Elena hands back Oscar’s ID and says, “I do apologize, Mr. West. Mr. Williams will escort you to the palace now.”

“Of course,” Ben says. “If you’ll just come with me, sir…”

He leads Oscar back out of the tent, leaving me to turn to Elena and say, “Wait. Just...wait a second. That’s it? This guy has a bad pass and-”

Elena holds up her hand. “Relax, Mr. Cross. We were already aware this man is not who he says he is.”

“R-Really?”