How do I deal with friends being losers? Here's how.

Before time began, there was the cube. We know not where it comes from, only that it has the power to create worlds and fill them with life. That is how our race was born.
For a time, we lived in harmony, but like all great power, some wanted it for good...others for evil. And so began a war; a war that ravaged our planet until it was consumed by death.... and the Cube was lost to the far reaches of space. We scattered across the galaxy, hoping to find it and rebuild our home, searching every star; every world. And just when all hope seemed lost, message of a new discovery drew us to an unknown planet called....Earth.

......But we were already too late.
—————————
As soon as school was done and over with, I grabbed by backpack and hurried out of the class. The teacher said something about a pop quiz, but honestly I could kinda care less. The pop quizzes were easy anyways. I gave my hopeless buddy Sam a thumbs up before leaving to the front. I hope he gets that A out of pity. The presentation was.....well, it was awkward. So very awkward.

5 minutes before the bell rang

"Okay, Mr. Witwicky! You're up." The teacher called up my friend, who stood up and tapped my shoulder. I was asleep, sort of, but that tap got me up and I gave him another thumbs up. "You got this, Sammy." I winked before sitting up properly and stretching. I still have to be reminded that the back is a sore-fucking thing. I don't get why but why can't we just have spines that won't get fucked up? Please?

"Sorry, I got a lot of stuff." Sam sheepishly said while dumping out the contents. I winced a little at that because, well, ain't that stuff fragile? I bet it would be considering it's stuff used from the...1800's? 1700's? I don't know my history. While I got out a piece of paper to take notes since it was required, I noticed that out of the corner of my eye, Trent the local fuckboy, was saying something to Mikaela.

"Okay, for my family genea-" Sam was about the start, but something hit him. A tiny paper ball, maybe. I felt my face scrunch up while the others laughed. The teacher wasn't so happy and sat up.

"Who did- Who did that?! People! Responsibility." He scolded for a moment while everyone quieted down from their laughing. I rolled my eyes and gave another thumbs up to Sam, silently telling him to continue. I was ready to take my notes, per usual.

"Okay, so for my family genealogy report, I decided to do it on my great-great-grandfather, who was a famous man, Captain Archibald Witwicky," He started, facing the class while I still smiled. The advice I gave him the previous day was to either look at the desks or at me when he's nervous, but I know he's got this. Mostly, "Very famous explorer. In fact, he was one of the first to explore...the Arctic Circle, which is a big deal." Sam held up two maps that showed said Circle and I jotted down the notes. "In 1897, he took forty one brave sailors straight into the Arctic Shelf. So that's the story right?"

As soon as he was done talking about his ancestor, he set the maps down and rummaged through the stuff he brought. This....was when it got awkward. Real fast. At that point I stopped taking notes because I know I wouldn't benefit from it, at all. "And here we have some of the basic instruments and tools used by nineteenth century seamen." The class laughed and I just raise my brow. You humans and your sex jokes. The teacher held up a quiet sign but I don't think that worked at all.

"This is the quadrant, which you can get for eighty bucks. It's all for sale, by the way. Like the, uh, the sextant here. Fifty dollars for this." I rubbed my eyes and muttered a quiet "Oh no..." when the class laughed again. I didn't advise him to make this an auction. He really wants that car, huh?

"These are pretty cool. These are my grandfather's glasses." It was when he brought the old glasses that I peeked up, suddenly interested. "I haven't quite gotten them appraised yet, but they've seen many cool things." Indeed they have, Sam. For a pair of ratty glasses, it's in great and antique condition.

"Are you going to sell me his liver? Mr. Witwicky, this isn't show and sell. It's the eleventh grade and I don't think your grandfather would be particularly proud of what you're doing." Our teacher shook his head in what I think is supposed to be disappointment, but I think he was just done with the salesperson antics Sam was doing. Honestly, I would be too. It's the worst time to be doing this.

"I know, I'm sorry. I just- y'know - this is all going towards my car fund-" Oh for fuck's sake, Sam. "You can tell your folks. It's on eBay, I take Paypal. Cold hard cash works too. And the compass makes a great gift for Columbus Day." The class laughed again and I just banged my head on the desk. He's not getting that A. He is not. Nopety nope.

"Sam!" Good thing teacher got him right on track. I had to say something too. "Going off topic. Move on." I gave Sam the cheeky smile and he shook his head.

"Sorry! Um, unfortunately, my great-great grandfather, the genius that he was, wound up going blind and crazy in a psycho ward, drawing these strange symbols and babbling on about some, uh, giant ice man that he thought he'd discovered."

Hm.

Cue the bell ringing, and I'm out of there.

Now

I walked out of the school and waved to Sam's father. "Hi, Mr. Witwicky!" I greeted and he warmly greeted me back.

"Hello, Nym. How are you?" I smiled and leaned on the car with a small shrug. "I'm doing great! My genealogy presentation is going to be tomorrow and I can't wait to talk about it. Now we just gotta wait for Sam to get that A."

"Of course. Here, why not sit in the back?" Giving him a thumbs up, I hopped inside and got my seatbelt on before pulling up my phone and scrolling to play some music. After a couple minutes, Sam came running by while looking happy as all hell.

"So?" Mr. Witwicky looked over to Sam.

"A-minus. It's an A though. So I'm good?" He waited for his dad's answer while the elder looked over and nodded.

"Yep, you're good." And with that, we went to get Sam's car! Whoo-hoo!

Oh, right, before I forget. You might be wondering who I am. The name's Nymeria R. F. Jacobs. Just call me Nym. I'm the winglady and one of Sam's best friends. He's a big loser but whatever. So am I. Now! LETS GET THAT CAR!