Chapter 12

Liem clutched tightly to the remains of Bessies reigns as she plodded steadily along.

His head, arm and side throbbed with each tiny movement but he gritted his teeth and allowed Bessie to carry him out of the valley. It had always been a shortcut for him. A way to liven up the long journeys between farms. But now he was happy to see it behind him. And he did not think he would be able to enter it again without memories of the pain in his side and head revisiting.

To distract himself he tried to calculate how much time and money it would take him to replace his wagon. But then he stopped because it made him depressed.

A cold wind blew in as the sun began its decline and he shivered against the pain.

He spied the forest edge before he saw the Simeon's farm. The huge trees rising over the hills as Bessie stomped wearily over its peak.

He wondered how Marcie had survived within its depths all alone then he spied Simeon running towards him and was reminded that there were more Forgotten. Then he wondered if that meant there were more Dragons and shuddered.

Simeon was shouting and his sons were running. But Liem could not understand what was being said. He waved his hand and mumbled something about being tired, then he felt strong hands lift him from Bessie's back and pull his arms over two sets of work strengthened shoulders, he cried out as his injured arm exploded in new pain. His feet practically dragging he gritted his teeth and allowed the boys to carry him into the house.

He heard Gwinn cry out and felt warmth as he was lowered in front of the fire onto the softest bear skin he had ever felt.

His head was lifted and a cushion placed under it. He mumbled a thank you and fell into blessed sleep.

When he awoke it was badly.

The throbbing in his head invaded strange distorted dreams of pretty girls who transformed into black scaled beasts. The same throbbing pulled him out of those dreams and into a too bright room that he thought for sure was familiar but made him panic as to where he was.

He lay with his eyes tightly closed, breathing deeply until the throbbing in his head became so bad he had to do something, anything to lessen it.

He found his one good arm and pushed himself up, peeking from beneath his eyelids until the brightness was not as invasive.

He found he was naked under blankets and furs, his body clean, bandages around his torso and arm. He raised his fingers to his head and found it also was bandaged.

A pile of clean clothes lay net to him and he awkwardly pulled them on one handed.

Squinting around he saw that he was in Gwinn's living room, laid out in front of the smouldering fire.

He staggered to his feet and, using the walls as supports he felt his way into the kitchen. Gwinn had her back to him, but he must have been loud because she turned quickly and rushed over to help him find a seat at the huge oak table that dominated the room.

He slumped forwards against the wood and felt a bowl and spoon be placed down next to him. One handed he raised the trembling spoon to his lips and tasted the blessed ambrosia. He wolfed the rest of the bowl down and eagerly reached for seconds and then thirds when presented. Only when his belly was stuffed and the pain his side had come back full force did he push the bowl away and lay his head on the table to doze for a while.

He woke up, he knew not when, only that the sunlight appeared dimmer than before when Simeon sat down heavily at the head of the table.

His friend appeared older and more worn than even two days ago but Liem thought it might be because he felt so weary himself, as though he had been aged in mere days.