chapter three

"Hey Aris." Thomas poked the boy in the back, smiling when he turned around.

    "Uh hi?" Aris looked confused as he made eye contact with Thomas.

    "I was wondering what you were reading?" Thomas asked as he motioned to whatever was on Aris' desk.

    Aris flushed and ducked his head down to avoid Thomas' gaze. "Nothing."

    Thomas frowned, feeling somewhat annoyed. Aris wasn't assisting his mission in any way. "What, are you lookin playboy or something?"

    Aris snapped his head up, looking completely startled. "What!? No!"

    Thomas leaned back in his chair, putting space between him and Aris. "If you don't tell me, I'm just gonna have to assume that's what you're reading."

    "Why do you even care Thomas?" Aris snapped. "We're not friends."

    "We could be!" Thomas snapped his fingers which made Aris give him a weird look. "Telling me what you're reading is the first step to us becoming friends."

    Aris was silent for a few moments. "If I tell you are you going to leave me alone?"

    Thomas nodded quickly. If it wasn't a marvel comic book, he had no interest talking to the boy anyways...not to be offensive.

    Aris smacked the book down on his desk, ducking his head back down again like he was ashamed.

    Thomas eyed the thing carefully before picking it up and flipping it over. "This is anime?"

    "Keep your voice down! Go ahead and laugh or whatever bu-"

    "Is this the only comic you read?" Thomas asked, completely cutting off Aris.

    "It's not a comi-"

    "Yes or no?"

    Aris rolled his eyes but nodded regardless. Thomas opened his mouth to say something but stopped when he saw Aris' head snap up. The boy scrambled to grab the manga off Thomas' desk and shove it in his bag as Teresa walked in.

    Realization hit Thomas like a brick and he groaned loudly, slamming his forehead down on the desk.

    "Tom, what the fuck?" Teresa asked from her seat.

    Thomas motioned to Aris without lifting his head. "It isn't him."

    Teresa nudged him with her foot, causing Thomas to turn his head and smush his cheek on the desk so he could at least see her.

    "What are you talking about? Aris just fled the room, what did you do to him?"

    "Mystery boy isn't him."

    "How do you know?"

    "Because he likes you."

    "Excuse me?"

    Thomas didn't feel like explaining so he just closed his eyes and threw his arms over his face. "If Mr.Janson asks I'm not here."

    He heard Teresa sigh loudly and her voice got softer as she turned to say something to the kid next to her. "I'm selling my best friend, wanna buy him?"

    Thomas kicked her chair hard enough to make her punch his thigh.

***

    I: alright fine, we can play your stupid game.
     Thomas grinned in victory as he took a bite of his sandwich and read the message from his mystery boy.