Chapter 7

JASON

Nico's house wasn't anything like I imagined it to be.

It was a cute little yellow house on the edge of town on a cute little street. Everything about it screamed 'cute', which gave me the suspicions for a fleeting moment that Nico had murdered the owner and moved in.

There was a green lawn in front of the house, and a driveway with a gray car parked there. Inside was a very homey home, consisting of tables and furniture I might've expected in Hazel's house, but not Nico's.

"Nico, why does everyone put lawn outside of their homes? Like, do humans really need their little square of grass to feel comfortable in life?" Nico looked at me with a funny look and shook his head.

"Yeah, you should definitely walk around town asking that question. They'd put you in a hospital thinking you've gone mental." He laughed and I kissed him.

"Oh, you love my questions."

"Oh, of course I do!" He said sarcastically, throwing his arms up. "What would I ever do without my random and odd questions about the relationships between humans and their fellow friend, grass?"

I grinned and kissed him again.

"I want you to show me around your area. I want to know where my boyfried lives, and what he does," I said.

"Who said we were boyfriends?" Nico smirked at me.

"I-uh-well, would you be?" I stuttered.

"Would I be...what?" He played dumb.

"My boyfriend."

"Your boyfriend what?"

"Will you be my boyfriend?" I squeaked out. This man did a very good job of intimidating me.

"Eugh no!" He exclaimed.

"What?"

"Oh, don't be stupid Jason Grace, of course I will. And yes, I will show you around Seattle. You can see the Pike Place Market, and we can go on the ferris wheel they put out there, and do a whole bunch of cute couple-y crap. Would you like that?" Nico said, and I couldn't help the smile that came over my face.

"I'd love that."

He laughed softly. "You dork!"

"What about Gracie?"

"We'll take care of her, and then do that. You know, there's nothing like bonding with your SO over dog puke."

I pinched the bridge of my nose. "Remind me why I came here again, just so that I'll help you with that?"

"You love me, Grace. You lo-ove me!" He teased and danced around, waving his arms above his head.

"Nothing, absolutely nothing you can do will make up for me cleaning up your dog's puke. You will owe me forever."

"That's a hard bargaining chip, but I'll do it. Who knows? You could have a secret kinky side you're just dying to let out." He winked at me and I blushed from head to foot.

"I do not!" I protested. 

"We'll see."

"I don't!"

"Mmhmm, sure."

"Really! I don't!"

"I don't believe you."

"Argh!"

Nico changed the subject. "You're birthday's coming up. July first, no?"

"That's right."

"I already know what I'm getting you," He said, grinning and moving in for a kiss.

"That worries me," I said, but kissed him anyways. I drank in the thick scent of vanilla that was a halo around the perfect boy in front of me.

Although he wasn't perfect. He had flaws and he had scars. Ugly scars. But, in my mind they were beautiful. The most beautiful things I had ever seen. They were the wings on this angel in front of me.

I wanted to give him everything. I wanted to be able to say, "Tell me what you want from me," when he did something wrong or was under stress.

Truthfully, I had been in love with Nico a long time. Longer than five years, and way into Piper and I's relationship.

I just refused to accept it until now. I told myself that it was because he was my best friend and I missed him.

But Leo was my best friend.

And it wasn't my mind that was missing him.

It was my heart.

All those nights I tossed and turned. I had physically given up looking for him, but my subconscious hadn't. In all of my dreams I saw the same dark haired boy I missed so much, but I could never get to him.

And now he was here, kissing me. His chapped lips moved against mine in sync and his thumbs were in the belt loops of my jeans. HIs dark blue skinny-ish jeans fell perfectly with his black t-shirt and red sneakers, and his dark eyes captured me just as Piper's had so long ago.

"I want you to quit smoking." It wasn't a question, and there was no room for arguing. His eyes wilted a little bit.

"I want to quit too, I just...can't."

"Yes, you can. I'll help you through it. You can do this."

"Alright, but first I want to show you around Seattle and you're meeting Gracie. And all my friends. And then, I'll quit. But isn't it going to be hard with you away in New York?"

His body was close to mine and under my hands on his chest I could feel his heart beating slowly, calmly.

"I can meet your friends next time I'm here, which won't be too long. I can catch a plane out in a month or so, when I have another break."

"I can just shadow-travel you, you know. No need to pay a few hundred just to visit me when I can take you for free. And," He paused, his voice growing low. "I'll be tired after, so we can lay in my bed and sleep."

"Even better. I don't think I'm ever taking another plane," I joked, and our lips met again. We had been doing that a lot, kissing, and I often wondered if the kiss felt the same from both ends. Did he like it as much as me?

"I'm going to go pick up Gracie, if you want to come? She's just at my neighbor Jake's house."

"Uh, sure."

"Good. Let's go before she starts to worry that I've abandoned her forever, or replaced her."

We walked up to the off-white colored house with a nice little front yard. Nico knocked on the door and we waited there until it was opened by an older man.

"Nico! You're back from your trip! How was it?" He asked.

"It was good. This is my boyfriend, Jason. Jason, this is Mr. Davis. He takes care of Gracie whenever I go somewhere."

"Ah, nice to meet you Jason." Mr. Davis stuck out his hand which I shook politely and then let my own fall down next to my side.

"Well, come in, come in!" He waved us in and we sat down in the kitchen at the table. A very adorable black dog was laying on the floor, and Nico leaned over and scratched her behind the ears.

"Hey Gracie baby, I'm back to take care of you, yeah!" She lifted her head and put it in his lap.

"Oh, don't worry, you'll be fine." She pouted at him with the same pout he gives me, and he melted, just as I always do.

"Let's get you home girl, okay?" He thanked Mr. Davis and we left the house. Nico carried Gracie-Ann in his arms and set her down on a big bed in a room down the hall.

"She loves you," I commented.

"So she does," He said quietly, stroking her fur behind her ears. I flopped down next to Gracie and she licked my face.

I laughed and Nico smiled, and it was a perfect moment in itself.