Chapter 10

JASON

I could say our relationship was going pretty well.

I woke up the next morning entwined with Nico, my face resting in the crook of his neck.

"Happy birthday," He whispered to me, pressing his lips to my forehead.

"It's not my birthday," I whispered back.

"I know, but it will be soon, and that soon is when you're back in New York, so I want to celebrate it now."

"Alright."

"I got you something."

"Really? What?"

He poked me sharply in the ribs. "You dork! It's a surprise! I'm not telling you."

I childishly stuck my tongue out at him. "You killjoy."

"I am not!"

"Uh-huh!"

"Nuh-huh!" It went on like this for a while until I pressed my lips to his to shut him up. I rolled on top of him, my legs straddling his waist. Our fingers entwined and the sheets tangled around us, but I could care less.

"I love you." The words seeped out of my mouth as he kissed my neck. My brain went fuzzy, and I wondered if it was possible to love someone this much. My lips parted and my eyes fluttered shut. I could feel Nico's heart beating through the thin t-shirt I wore.

I rested my head in the crook of his neck, his arms around my waist. Gracie was barking at some squirrels in the backyard, and things were good.

Except for the fact that I was leaving tomorrow.

In my mind, that wasn't a bad thing though. It only meant that these moments over the time span of today and tomorrow were more special, and it gave me something to look forwards to.

We stayed like that for a while longer, our lips occasionally brushing.

I finally got out of the bed long after Nico had and brushed my teeth. I walked out to the kitchen in my boxers and a t-shirt and sat down at the table as my boyfriend poured coffee into a mug.

"Good morning," He said.

"Good morning."

"Happy birthday!"

I started laughing and Gracie bounded into the room, barking happily. She chased her tail for a while as Nico handed me a cup of coffee.

He sat across from me.

"What do you want to do today?"

"Something with you."

"I've barely thought about smoking recently."

"Good." I smiled at him shortly and sipped the cup of coffee before me. "So when do I get my present?"

Nico looked up at me across the table and smiled over his coffee mug. "Be patient, Jay. You'll get it when you get it," He teased me. I got up and pulled out a box of cookies I had learned hid in the back of the cupboards. My boyfriend glared at me for discovering his secret stash and I stuck my tongue out childishly at him.

"It's my birthday!"

"Next week it is!" He protested.

"Well we're celebrating it now."

"Oh?" Nico laughed. "So now you want to celebrate it now?"

"Oh hush your face!" I exclaimed, waving a vanilla cookie at him. I came and sat back down, and Gracie stuck her face in my lap, begging for some of the cookie.

"So what are we doing today?"

"I'm not sure, what do you want to do?"

"Be with you."

"Stop being cute!" I said as Nico batted his eyelashes at me over his mug of coffee. 

"Alright, fine. I know a nice spot. Carkeek Park. One of my friends, Sienna introduced it to me a few weeks back."

I hummed in the back of my throat in agreement.

"We can go after the rain stops."

"What?"

"The rain?" Nico raised an eyebrow and jerked his head towards the window. Sure enough, it was pouring out. I laughed at my own stupidity and agreed with him that we would go after the rain stopped.

Gracie escaped out of the doggy door and bounced around happily in the rain in the backyard. Nico got up and moved around the table with his lips laced with a smirk. He straddled my lap and started to pepper my face with soft kisses. I set my mug down and placed my hands on his hips, pulling his body closer to mine.

After what seemed like ages his lips landed on mine and his hands tangled in my hair. His teeth nipped at my bottom lip and drew it back, making me groan. I hooked my thumbs in his belt loops and he bucked his hips forwards a little too hard.

We toppled to the ground with a thud and a groan.

The rain was still dumping out of the sky at an amazing rate a few hours later when I stood up and pulled on the rest of my clothing. Nico got up a few moments after me and followed me to where I was leaning on the windowsill.

"It's amazing. I love the rain," I said quietly with a quick glance at Nico. He looked so beautiful with his rumpled hair and enraptured look as he stared out at the clouds. He didn't respond, which I didn't mind.

I probably wouldn't have been able to answer anyways. My mind was still on Nico's hips. They were slightly more rounded and feminine, but that only intrigued me more.

Nico leaned his elbow against the window and turned to me. I immediately turned my face to him, making him smile.

"I love you, you know that?"

"Yeah, I know that."

"No. I love you doesn't cover it. I'm in love with you Jason Grace. I'm so far in love with you that I don't think I will ever not be. You make me want to do cheesy romantic things, and you are the sunshine that breaks through when I can't see past the clouds. I can't explain how I feel inside, possibly because I just don't know. I want you to know that," He said, without breaking eye contact. My heart fluttered in my chest and my lips parted into a grin.

"I'm in love with you too," I muttered in response. It was all I could manage.

Nico's big dark eyes widened as my hands found his collar and yanked him down in a rough kiss. His hands moved under my shirt and ran up and down my sides before we broke apart.

"Let's go on that walk."

"Yeah," I smiled. "Let's."