Epilogue

A ugly sob racked it's way through his body. He couldn't help it and goddess did he sound weak.

"Da-d-dammit, Link! I-no . . . It didn't have to be this way, we . .   we could've done something else!" 

Suddenly, Link, still weakened by literally everything possible, managed to reach up. 

He gently cupped his bloodied hand around Ghirahim's cheek and jaw and closed his eyes. Though he was unable to form coherent words at the moment, the action managed to succeed in what he wanted it to. Silencing the demon lord. He gave a small, subtle smile to the love of his life knowing that things never had a chance of working. He would've died eventually and he'd rather it be by his own or someone else's hand before he suffered the whole time. This last suicide attempt had succeeded, there would be no more suffering for him in life after this. The only suffering he would endure after death was waiting. Waiting for the day Ghirahim might join him in afterlife. 

But . . . before he went there was something that he had to let Ghirahim know. 

His attempt to speak was futile at most and the only thing he could manage was a pained wheeze. However in the end, he managed to speak the last words he wanted to say. 

"You. I . . . I love you. I don't even know why or even how this came to be but I only know one thing. It was never meant to be and. . . and I'm completely alright with you not loving me back. When I left, I hoped to spare you the pain of seeing me like this. It hurts and I didn't want you to feel the same. But, you. It was you. You're the only one the make me feel like this, and for once . . . I'm glad that you've left me breathless." 

The light in Link's eyes faded as Ghirahim gave a last kiss on the boy's forehead.

"I'm sorry." Ghirahim whispered and sadly that was the most he could say. He was too pathetic to even bring himself to say three words. 'I love you.'  He loved the boy, he really did. But he just couldn't bring himself to say those three words and they would be like poison in his mouth. 

He was dead. The boy he loved was dead. At least he did not pass with too much pain. 

Ghirahim picked up the lifeless body and started walking until he was rudely stopped by the sword thrust into his face and pressed into his neck.

 "Put the hero down. I will not allow you to hurt him anymore."

Ghirahim did not follow the order and stepped back to stsrt walking around the Sheikah. 

"Are you deaf, demon scum?! I asked you to put the hero down!" Impa yelled turning to face the demon once again. 

"Are you blind, sheikah dog? I am trying to mourn."

"You? Mourn? As if a demon could even do such a thing. You're incapable of friendship and love. All you guys are is sadistic freaks that care for themselves and only themselves."

"Then what would you call the two weeks I had let the hero stay at my humble abode?"

"Merely personal gain!"

Soon someone else joined in. "Impa! Ghirahim! That is enough! If you are going to fight, do it somewhere other than over the hero's body. I don't want to here you guys fighting, he wouldn't have wanted it."

Zelda sat down on her knees and used the back of her hand to move the Link's bangs out of his cold face. She pressed a gentle kiss to the forehead below her and mumbled a prayer of some sort before stating 'I'm sorry.'

She turned on her heel and grabbed a flower and rested it on the hero's chest before folding his hands around it carefully. Ghirahim ignored the fact that they were enemies and joined her with adding flowers. Right now they were on common ground and had a common goal in mind. Honoring the hero and his sacrifice. The demon lord snapped his fingers and a beautiful flower arrangement appeared around Link. 

Impa continued to glare at the demon during the whole mourning process. Several hours later. Ghirahim was the only one that remained. Fi wasn't even there anymore. Zelda had taken anything that would be useful for the next hero and he was simply left with the one he had fallen in love with. 

Ghirahim swore something on that day and he intended to keep it no matter the circumstances. He would find the hero in his next life and protect him no matter the cost.

Even if it killed him in the process.