4: The Almost Nothing

*

Kara's POV:

And right at that moment when our lips barely touched...

"RJ! My man!" we heard a loud yell coming from behind us. We instantly pulled apart.

A few guys and girls were coming towards us. Thankfully we were somewhat hidden behind Ryder's car, so they couldn't possibly saw what was happening.

"We saw your car when we passed by, thought we'd see you here," said a guy in white t-shirt and jeans. His smile was kind of cute, especially with them dimples.

"Oh hey, you guys, how's it going?" Ryder nodded at the group of people. These people looked like they came out straight from The O.C.

"Who's this?" The dimple guy turned to me, totally checking me out. I blushed immediately.

"This is Kara, my uh, step-sister. Kara, these are my friends." before Ryder could say their names, dimple guy moved up and gave his hand out to me.

"Cameron, nice to meet you," he smiled that mega-watt smile again.

"Nice to meet you too," I replied politely and took his hand. I could feel that his hand was holding onto mine just a second too long. I pulled away awkwardly.

"Kara's new in town so I'm just here showing her around," Ryder coughed.

"Oh cool. Will I see you guys at Blake's party tonight? It's gonna be lit," Cameron finally took his gaze off of me, talking to Ryder.

"Yeah man, totally," Ryder said to him.

"You're coming too, right Kara?" Cameron turned to me again.

"What party?"

"It's kind of a tradition we have around here, on every night with a full moon, we throw a party at our friend's beach house. It'll be fun, you should come," he said again, and Ryder shuffled uncomfortably.

"Ok, sure," I replied. I had nothing to do anyway.

"Sweet. I'll see you guys tonight!" Cameron beamed. He ran back towards his friends and their cars, and they drove away.

Being left alone again, Ryder and I shuffled awkwardly.

"Um, maybe we should start heading back?" I finally said.

*

The car ride back home was filled with an awkward silence between us. There was a fat elephant in that car riding with us, and its name is sexual tension.

What the hell was that back there? Something almost happened. Was he pulling me in for a kiss? And I let him? Holy mackerel. That could've gone real bad real fast. 

Ryder tried to ease the awkward silence between us as he shuffled a random CD into his car audio. Soon a familiar music began playing; it was an Ed Sheeran song, 'Thinking Out Loud'. But it wasn't Ed's voice singing it, it was a cover, and a girl was singing it. Just as my hand reached out to turn the volume up, Ryder was doing the same thing. Our fingers touched and I thought there was an electrical static just then. I pulled my hand away quickly and Ryder turned the volume up.

"So, are we just not gonna talk about it?" he suddenly said.

"What it?" I played dumb.

"You know, what happened back there,"

"Nothing happened back there." I said defensively.

"Right," he said sarcastically.

"Seriously nothing happened, right?" I said again, somewhat nervously.