Prologue

A queen with brown stripes huddled near a twoleg grate, her tail wrapped around her four new born kits. Her pelt was filthy with dust and dirt. Her fur was ruffled, with small patches of fur torn out.

The stars were dissolved by the twoleg lights. Twolegplace were filled with twoleg nests. Then there was a black, ungraceful fence, separating the twolegs from a lake and a forest. If only I could go there... The queen thought. My kits would be safe like Sleekfur's...

The queen turned her gaze onto her kits. She nudged one of her kits with her paw. The kit was barely breathing. I hope she doesn't die... The queen nudged her closer.

She lifted her head and gazed at the night sky for a long moment. I cannot see you, my ancestors, but I trust that you can see me through the twoleg lights.

The queen bent down to lick her kits, trying to keep them warm. 

"I may not stay here for very long." she murmured between licks. I'll have to leave them. It's the only way I can keep them away from twolegs. The queen sat up, straightening her spine. She eyed the kits. "So will give you my blessings now."

She touched her firstborn with her tail. He looked so much like her mate. The queen's eyes saddened with grief as she remembered his death. His amber eyes were beautiful. The firstborn had been born with this eye colour, unlike normal kittens, who have blue eyes when they are born.

But something flashed towards her, something cold with hatred. The queen refused to flinch. She continued with the naming ceremony.

"Your name will be Power." she mewed. "You will have the most energy out of all your littermates." The kit's eyes flashed with something different. Energy and power.

She glanced at the sky again. "You must help your ancestors get revenge on the twolegs. You have the power to change anything." The black kit blinked at her, looking somewhat confused.

A chill crawled up the the queen's spine. Something bad is coming... She thought. I have to do this quicker. The queen moved on. She touched the next kit with her tail. "As for you,-" 

The queen stopped meowing and sniffed the air. Twoleg! Her ears prickled. Large footsteps are coming.

Quickly, she shoved her kits into a dark tunnel just as the twoleg entered the alleyway. I don't want to leave them, but I will have to.

The twoleg yowled something and pointed at her with a stick. The tip of the stick shone with bright light, blinding the queen.

More twolegs came, trying to grab the queen. The queen twirled and led the twolegs away from her kits. She leaped onto a fence, trotting in full speed. Her pawsteps clanked against the dry, smooth, twoleg wood. Her footsteps faded away from the kits...

Silence. A few minutes passes. The queen never came back. 

One of the kits whimpered. One of kits meowed. One of the kits lay limp without breathing. The kits looked at the entrance of the hole, wondering where is their mother.

Slowly, one-by one, the kits climbed out of the tunnel. The first born kit huddled against his littermates. 

Rain shimmered down, drizzling through the night. Puddles formed. The rain splattered ground rhythmically.

Monsters roamed across pools of water, creating a splashing noise.

The three kits barely moved. Their fluffy fur turned damp. Lightning flashed ahead, striking far away, beyond the forest around a lake.

Thunder boomed also, but it was nothing compared to the strike of lightning. It crashed down like bright, electric strands of string. The strings stretched through the night sky, making the sky look shattered.

The firstborn's weird amber eyes reflected the scene. As his eyes met the flash of lightning, his body went stiff. His eyes went glazed with a hint of red. 

The drizzle continued. But the firstborn twitched robotically, turning into the direction of his siblings. 

He slashed with a paw. The nearest unnamed littermate dropped dead. 

The other littermate backed up and squirmed. She battered the firstborn weakly with her paw. But the firstborn continued to advance on her. He crawled towards her, his position in a perfect crouch. With a low hiss, the firstborn leaped at her, claws unsheathed.  

His teeth enclosed around his littermate's throat. His fangs were embedded deep in her neck. Blood filled in his lungs. He saw his sister's life fade away... 

Then everything went black and he collapsed, letting the dead kitten's body fall drop onto the wet twoleg ground.