Chapter 3

Nobody knew today would be the day that history was going to be changed forever. Freddie shook the hands of his future band mates and Roger didn't seem to impressed with him.

"It's a pleasure to meet you, darlings".  Freddie stated.

"So, Freddie, apparently you have a wonderful voice, would you be willing to show us?" Brian asked, his arms crossed.

He nodded, "sure, what song shall I sing?" Roger thought, "what about 'And I Love Her' from The Beatles?"

Brian walked into his room and grabbed his guitar, which he created with his father only a few years previously. This guitar was The Red Special, only soon going to be one of the most legendary guitars to exist in the music industry and one that was played by Brian for 40 + years.

He sat down on the couch with Roger next to him, ready to pay attention to every detail of Freddie's voice. Lily was leaning against the couch near Brian. He started strumming.

"I give her all my love

That's all I do

And if you saw my love

You'd love her too

I love her

She gives my everything

And tenderly

The kiss my lover brings

She brings to me

And I love her

A love like ours

Could never die

As long as I

Have you near me

Bright are the stars that shine

Dark is the sky

I know this love of mine

Will never die

And I love her

Bright are the stars that shine

Dark is the sky

I know this love of mine

Will never die

And I love her."

Everyone's jaws were open, they were amazed. Even Lily forgot how good he was. "Well, Freddie, that was incredible. Roger and I will discuss it and get Lily to tell you when we know". Brian responded.

"Of course, take your time, dears". Freddie turned and walked out the door.

Roger and Brian looked at each other amazed at the voice that came out of this boy's mouth. "I will head back to my room and I will get started on the assignment, Roger, please get started soon". Lily left and tried to catch up to Freddie.

"So, do you think Freddie will be good for our band, Bri?" he nodded.

"Just sleep on it first, if we are still strong on our decisions then we can let Freddie know tomorrow and practice together". Roger stood up and went to his room to work on his assignment, he had fallen in love with Lily after their forty minutes together so he wanted to make her happy anyway he could.

*The Next Day*

Class started at 8am like always and they all sat down except today was different, Roger came and sat next to Lily. Professor Ivy noticed instantly.

"Get away from me blondie". She whispered, not even glancing at Roger.

"Tell your friend he's in the band, practice at 8:30pm, make sure he is not late".

Hours passed and nothing exciting happened. Roger and Lily were back to hating each other, well, Roger didn't hate her, she just couldn't know about his feelings towards her.

Lily and Freddie walked into this big warehouse, not too far away from the college. They had never seen it, as they walked in, they saw a number of crazy, flashing lights turn on and off. They followed.

Everything was set up, the drums had a smile on the front, the Red Special was there and a microphone.

"Hello, guys!" Lily called out. "Hey! You made it!" Roger said.

Minutes later, Freddie stepped on the abandoned stage, it seemed like a place these boys always practiced. It had a lot of music posters and a big record player with nearly every record you could ever want. The kitchen was filled with alcohol and biscuits. Strange mix.

Freddie stood up and held the microphone, if you looked in his eyes you could see the excitement within him. Roger jumped up the stairs and sat behind the drumset. Brian walked over to Freddie and handed him the sheet with the words to a song him and Tim wrote.

The song was titled 'Doing Alright'.

"Yesterday my life was in ruins
Now today I know what I'm doing
Got a feeling I should be doing all right
Doing all right

Where will I be this time tomorrow?
Chasing joy or drinking in sorrow
Anyway I should be doing all right
Doing all right

Simply waiting for the sign
Waiting here to find the words to say
Sitting waiting all this time here
All the time you're away
Sitting waiting for the sign
And anyway I got so far

Yesterday my life was in ruins
Now today I've learned what I'm doing
Anyway I should be doing all right
Doing all right"

Lily was shocked, so was Brian and Roger. Freddie's voice made everyone not believe a person could sing like that.

"Freddie, you are in the band". Roger said, overly impressed at the vocal talents.

"I will definitely join but I have one thing that needs to be changes, dears". Freddie stated.

"What is it?" Brian and Roger asked in unison.

"The name changes. Smile won't work. The name of a band is always what first attracts someone to them. I feel Queen would better suit us".

Roger had a look of disgust. "Fine, we will give it a try but if the name doesn't work out then we'll change it up". Brian quickly replied, so Roger couldn't be cruel.

"Oh, and I am changing my name. I got inspired by 'Mercury Records', so now I am Freddie Mercury".

So, Queen exist, next step, a bass player.