Chapter 3

Jim woke up surrounded by darkness, but thankfully not pinned under any of the massive chunks of rock which had fallen from the ceiling. Some fumbling and shouting confirmed that Claire and Toby were beside him, also unharmed with the exception of some minor cuts and bruises. But Blinky didn't answer any of their cries, and Jim started to fear the worst.

Suddenly Claire had an idea. "Jim, do you have your cell phone?" Jim groaned, hating the small space. "Yes, why- oh right." Jim dug out his phone and turned on the flashlight, revealing that the end of the tunnel leading back to Trollmarket was completely collapsed: right on top of Blinky.

Only the blue troll's head and one arm were visible, the rest being trapped under huge boulders that must have weighed tons. While trying to clear the rocks off of Blinky, Jim discovered that the angle of the rocks still put pressure onto the troll, but enough of the weight was resting on the floor that Blinky hadn't been crushed. Jim sighed with relief, and the humans gathered close when their four armed friend began to stir.

The first words out of Blinky's mouth were, "Are you three alright?" Toby answered, "Yeah, but we can't get you out all the way." Claire added, "You saved our lives Blinky. Thank you. But how did you know that the ceiling was going to fall down like that?" Blinky tried to shrug, but then cringed as the motion spread a wave of pain down his spine.

"Ever since I was blinded, I have found myself relying on my other senses much more. Before you three joined me I was focusing on what I could hear in the quiet of the tunnel. You said that you cannot free me?" Blinky rubbed his eyes with his free hand; did he think he could see a speck of light, or was it his mind playing tricks?

"Yes. I think I'll have to use my sword and try to hack it apart, but I don't want to hurt you. I think we could wait until the trolls on the other side have cleared a path to us though." Blinky frowned and tried to shift positions, impeded by the rock pressed down against his back. "We may have to go ahead and risk injury. I believe more rock collapsed than I originally thought: there is water running near my feet- and it is rising.