Chapter 6

Even as the water rose higher and higher, the trollhunters frantically ripped rocks out of the blockage, so close that Blinky could actually stick his hand into the air outside. Suddenly, just as the water was reaching their chins, a hand gripped Blinky's from the other side, then let go. "Master Jim! Someone's on the other side! They grabbed my hand! Just hold on-" Then the water was over their heads.

Jim, Claire, and Toby were abruptly spilled out when rocks were ripped from the pile, coughing and gulping down the air. There were trolls surrounding them, led by Vendel. Jim could see Claire and Toby beside him, but where was Blinky? Jim pushed through the crowd, panic rising in his throat and then he found Blinky. Vendel caught the trollhunter before he could get close, trying in vain to shield him. Blinky was laid out a few feet away, completely limp.

Jim fought Vendel, trying to get to Blinky with the thought that this couldn't possibly be happening- not now, not like this. "I am so sorry young trollhunter. Trolls cannot swim." Jim shook his head. "He's not stone! He's still alive!" Vendel sighed, his face lined with pain. "He is not breathing. There is nothing that can be done."

Just then, Claire ran past Jim and Vendel, dropping to her knees beside Blinky and lacing her hands together, looking determined. Jim and Toby knew what she was doing, but to the trolls it must have seemed like magic, and Vendel's grip on Jim loosened. Jim dropped down beside Claire and tried to help. Minutes passed, and Jim started to feel despair set in. Just as Jim was about to give up, Blinky twitched, coughing and hacking up water just a second later.

Sitting up, Blinky looked around, his face morphing into an astonished grin. "I can see! I can see all of you!" Blinky's friends gasped in shock and hugged him, relieved and still shaking from their ordeal. "That's awesome! But how did you just suddenly get it back?" Blinky grinned, happy to be alive even if some of his ribs might be very bruised. "I started to see little things, like light and shadows, when Master Jim was using his phone as a flashlight. I didn't want to say anything because I thought that perhaps it would just fade away again."

Blinky coughed again, then made a face. "What happened to my chest?" Claire explained, "You weren't breathing, so I had to force the water out of your lungs. Your ribs will probably be sore for awhile, sorry." Blinky smiled. "I think bruised ribs are a trifling price to pay for having my life saved. I believe I owe you a lot Claire." She smiled, blushing, slightly overwhelmed by the stares of all the shocked trolls. "Claire, you must teach us how to do this" Vendel rumbled.

They might be beat up, but they will never be defeated. Remember- no matter how bad it gets, there is always a way of conquering darkness.

*Thanks for reading!! Please vote/comment :D I need ideas on what to do next, so don't be shy!*