Last Part

*Just a reminder: Bold sentences/paragraphs are flashbacks

*Alfred's P.O.V.*

It was exactly on this concrete bridge where the incident happened. At that time, it was mid-winter and a thick layer of snow covered everything I could see. It was getting dark so both of us were hurriedly walking back home after playing in the snow at the park. As we crossed the bridge, I noticed there was this menacing man with his hands in his pocket, walking towards us on the opposite side of the bridge.

At the mention of the said man, (Nickname) turned to take a glance at the man on the ground still asleep and asked, "This man?"

"Yeah," I replied as I scowled at the old man, "but I didn't recognize him immediately because back then he didn't have a thick beard."

The creepy man suddenly grabbed (Nickname)'s small arm and commanded us to give him money, but none of us had any. It made him furious so he gripped (Nickname) tightly by the collar of her jacket, lifted her in the air, and kept threatening us to give him money.

"Or else I'll throw this little girl here in the river below," he blackmailed with an evil smile. My heart stopped and then my mind began to panic terribly.

My little sister's tiny body was struggling to breathe so she began to cry helplessly while screaming my name, and it broke my heart to know that I was too weak to do anything to help her.

"A-Alfie! ...A-Al...fie!"

I insisted that we didn't have a single cent with us and started to punch the mugger as I screamed at him to let her go with tears welling up in my eyes, but the man was cruel and said, "No money? Then say goodbye to your sister."

In a blink of an eye, he proceeded to throw her off the bridge with one swift motion and walked away while laughing maniacally.

"AAAALFIIIEEE--!!"

"__________!!!" I screamed at the top of my lungs as my tears streamed down my face, reaching my hand towards her in vain.

Through my blurry eyes, I saw her small body hit the cold water underneath the bridge and I remember how rage and fury surged inside me, making me shoot a venomous glare at the man who was walking away. My anxiousness kept growing even stronger when I realized that she wasn't resurfacing under the water.

My face was covered in tears and snot, but I didn't bother wiping them away because I didn't have any time to waste. I dropped my bag onto the snow-covered floor and swiftly took my phone out to call mom. Once she answered I told her what happened and to hurry to the bridge. Without wasting any more time, I threw myself off the bridge and dived into the ice-cold water in hopes to find my sister before everything is too late.

After I was immersed in the river, I did an involuntary gasp due to the extremely cold temperature, causing the water to flow into my mouth, so I swam to the surface to cough it out and take in some air before diving back.

The painful freezing cold water elicited my body to shiver uncontrollably. My heart was pumping loudly as I swam deeper into the dark cold river. It was so dark that I could barely see anything and the chilly water was quickly stealing the heat from my entire body, but I didn't care. I was intensely focused on finding (Nickname) and there was no way I was giving up because she was my precious little sister. The fear of losing her was overwhelming, which made me vow to never let harm come to her ever again.

It wasn't long before my hands scantily felt something even though my body was almost entirely numb due to the cold, and I prayed in my heart that it was her. I swam closer and embraced whatever was in front of me and realized that I was holding her small frame. I hastily started swimming upwards with great effort because I was rapidly getting deprived of oxygen and the extremely cold temperature was further slowing me down. Fortunately, the light coming from the surface was near and as soon as my head emerged from the water, I gasped harshly for air.