Chapter 22

I wake with a start, sweat drenching my forehead. I open my eyes, looking around me. I realize I'm no longer lying in the tree. Instead, I lay on my back below the branch I fell asleep on. 

I sit up, rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. Noticing the sun has not risen yet, I decide it would be a good time to start flying again. Not sure why so early, but we don't need to leave at 11 every morning. If we want to find Mom and Dad, we need to leave as soon as possible.

I stand, kicking Luke and nudging Addison with my foot. Luke wakes up, kicking me back. I just smirk at him. Addison gets up, then grabs our bags. She knows it's time to go.

"I'll take care of keeping the shield up and the slip stream flowing. You just fly alongside me." I tell Luke, knowing he's still tired.

Luke nods as he yawns. Addison lazily jumps, and I form the shield around her. She lays down in the shield, falling back to sleep almost instantly. I hover and form a stream of air below the shield.

Luke hovers while rubbing his eyes, and we start flying. I hear Luke mutter a few things behind me, but ignore him. I don't even know what he said.

We fly for what seems to be an hour. The sun still hasn't risen. We reach a road, a highway actually. It's empty, the only light coming from the occasional street lamp. I look around as I hover above the road, hoping to find some sign.

I fly to the left. It only takes a minute or so, but I stumble across a sign saying 'Virginia Beach 20 miles south'. Well, that could be where we're meant to go.

Luke, do you think we should go to Virginia Beach? I ask him.

It'll probably take a couple hours to reach there. And I'm still tired. Luke answered.

I thought for a moment, then turned to face him. His eyes were half closed, his hands shoved in his pockets as he practically stood on air. We'll fly through the woods, along the highway, for a while. Then we can rest again. 

I don't see how you're so awake.

I shrugged and shook my head. A nasty nightmare would make you never want to close your eyes again.

Luke nodded, then started flying what I can only assume is south. I look to my left, where Addison lay asleep, and see my air stream wavering. I open my hand wide, and the stream stabilizes.

I fly into the woods, following Luke. Once I catch up to him, I slow down. Luke's hands are still in his pockets. He doesn't look too happy. 

Stop looking at me. Luke says.

"I'll look at you if I want to look at you." I paused for a moment. "Are you mad at me?"

"For waking me up hours too early by kicking me?" Silence seemed to be my only answer. "No, not at all." He finally said.

I shake my head and fly forward slightly. Making sure to check the slip stream every once in a while, we keep flying. I swerve to the left to make sure we're still following the highway south. I go back to my original place as I see that we are.

I feel the tug of tiredness as we continue flying. The sun has risen a bit above the horizon. Addison woke up and was currently lying on her stomach, watching the ground blur below her. I shook my head to keep my focus on the shield and slip stream.

If I were to lose focus, I would most likely drop Addison. That wouldn't end well.

I'm tired! Luke whined.

I know. Just hold out for a few more minutes. I answered.

Luke sighed. Fine.

We only flew for about 5 more minutes. I could feel my grip on the shield and slip stream fading as each second ticked by.