Back to the Start

It was visiting hour at St. Hortense's Hospital, and Mr. Owen Burkley arrived at Constance's door with a bouquet of fresh daisies bursting white and yellow in his hand. "Hello, hope I'm not a bother," he said.

"Oh, not at all." Constance smoothed the covers of her hospital bed with a wrinkled hand. Her eyes darted shyly to the floor, looking at Owen's shoes rather than his face. It was the third time he'd visited her this week. Not even her children and grandchildren stopped by so often. Granted, Owen was an old friend and a high school sweetheart, but he had a way of making other people uncomfortable. Nevertheless, she had always found Owen adorable. He'd never been like any of the other boys then, and he'd never changed. Time couldn't erase her feelings for him.

"You know I'm not the kind of fella to beat around the bush." Owen removed his hat and set it onto the side table with the bouquet. "Got something to show you." He reached into his pocket and pulled out a small metal box, just big enough to fit into his palm. He held it before her with a proud grin. "I've finally perfected it. My life's work. I'm ready to test it."

Constance tilted her head. "What is it?"

Owen's voice deepened, his expression solemn. "A time machine. The first and last of its kind. Once I use it, it will disappear with me."

"Everyone used to tell me you were crazy." Constance chuckled. "I always told them you were a genius. There's a fine line between the two. Looks like you've finally jumped over it, you old charmer."

"I'm not crazy. Not this time." Owen sat beside her and wrapped his fingers around hers. He placed the so-called time machine into her hand. "Do you want to go?"

Constance blinked, her jaw dropping. "You mean, go through time with you?"

He nodded. "Just think. We might be able to start over, we might not. Maybe we'll just disappear into the ether and become one with the cosmos. Like I said, it's never been tested. But I'm done here--with this time, this life. I've got nothing, no one but you. And I'm ready to take this chance."

Constance stared into Owen's blue eyes. Once she'd thought they held all of her dreams. Then she'd married another, and life had carried her down a different path.

Here was a crossroads. Past and future melted together. Owen's skin was warm and frail against her own.

She stared out the window, pale sunlight refracting across the glass. His words struck something deep inside, a yearning for things she'd never dreamed possible. What if she could begin again?

"Where will it take us?" she asked.

"Back to the start." He winked. "Are you game?"

She pondered it for a few seconds, and the answer melted from her lips like dew on a morning petal. "Yes."

Owen's smile lit the stark white walls of the room. He helped Constance slide out of the bed and supported her as she swayed on weary knees. They stood together, holding each other, and he pressed a small switch on the device.

The air around them pulsed and shimmered. The room faded into mist. Wrinkled flesh became smooth, gray hair soft and dark with youth. Joy and sorrow converged into a single moment.

She rested her head on his shoulder and breathed in the promise of spring.