Chapter 7

Hux POV

I sighed, staring out the window on the bridge of the Finalizer at Crait below. Transports were sent from the star destroyer down to the planet to retrieve Kylo and Summer.

But this was not my choice.

I wanted to ignore the message Ren sent for as long as possible, but unfortunately I'm not the only person he contacted. Ren sent out multiple messages to the "hub", where everything gets deciphered by techs then transferred to who the message belongs to. Seeing that it was an S.O.S from the Supreme Leader, they had to blabber it about to other officials. Thus, I could no longer hold the ship back because then I would look like either a traitor or in some sort of mutiny.

So here I am wasting my time and saving two lives that mean nothing to me.

The transports soon returned. I heard over the comm the rescue mission was a success. The two who I wish had perished are stable and will make a quick recovery.

Can you not hear how ecstatic I am? Is my sarcasm too heavy?

An officer came to report the news I already knew so I waved him off. Last thing I need is something to be repeated to me.

With another sigh, I went to the infirmary to check on the new arrivals. Not because I cared, but only for appearances.

Good thing acting is my specialty.

*  *  *  *  *  *

"The doctor said you will be fine. Don't prolong this," I somewhat scolded Ren. I stood over his bed, staring down at him. It felt good to do that. Made me feel for the moment I was in charge.

"I am physically and mentally exhausted," Ren replied, glaring but sounding weak for a change. "I have to take a few days off, according to my doctor, for a proper recovery."

I saw a spark of hope and light. This is the chance I've been waiting for. But I have to play my cards carefully. Ren isn't stupid.

Time to let the actor shine.

I faked a sigh. "You're right, Supreme Leader, you should rest." I made sure to keep my voice smooth and gentle. "You don't want to risk the chance of hurting yourself worse."

"Well, I don't think it would kill me-"

A shame.

I ignored him though, continuing politely as if I didn't hear. "But then...who will be in charge?"

"I'm not an invalid Hux. I just have to take an easy."

"If you stayed away from work, you may recover faster," I urged, trying to stay calm as I saw my chance slipping away.

He raised a brow, getting suspicious. "I'll be fine. In fact as soon as I get an update about Summer, we can go back to our room."

My arms were behind my back, which was good since my fists were so clenched my nails dug into my skin. But on my face, I even had trouble hiding disappoint. I smiled insincerely. "Splendid."

"Can you go find out for me how she is?" Kylo asked, concerned. "I want to make sure she's alright. The nurses haven't given me an update."

I nodded and left, making sure I shut his door before muttering some special chosen words.

"Once again, I'm an errand boy," I growled under my breath, almost tempted to go back into the room and stab him with the secret daggers I hid within my coat sleeves.

I eventually found Summer's room in the infirmary, surprised to see her unconscious. I stepped inside and approached the bed, eyeing how she was hooked up to an oxygen machine.