Chapter 4

I try not to think so much at where we're going because I truly don't care. The only thing I'm concerned about is that we get there in one piece. Other than that, I don't care so much at sightseeing or what my dad calls sightseeing. "Look fast! Because we're not stopping."

     "Aabe,"(father) I groaned and continued to explain to my dad for the hundredth time that I did care for any sightseeing. I wanted my best friend back.

     I wake up in a different city almost every night, almost, Dad's a safe driver. But when hooyo takes the wheel all hell breaks loose as she passes the speed limit more than twice. I love it when she drives, because that the only time I see her into this crazy-soccer-Mom-late-for-a-big-game mode. And it's more scary then funny, but it's the only time I see her normal. Well normal as in not trying to make me be her little minion who dresses and acts like she did when she was in high school.

      I attempt to block out most of the driving with reading books. And by the time we're in Oregon, it's six in the afternoon. We have time to find our new apartment or house-I haven't really bothered to ask what it is-we're moving into and relax for a while before we unpack stuff.

     Trees and brick building blur pass my window. Renwood, the town we'll be living in, looks like a blue collar town. It small and what my Mom has said is that's, "Quant and Quiet." And by quiet I'm not sure she if she meant quiet for a town compared to New York, or quiet as in dead still. With the amount cars that driving the street and people who walk along the sidewalks, I'm going to have to go with choice number two. But in all the sight of this place is kind of nice, a little too airy for my taste, but I can learn to like it.

      The scenery that I've seen in the past few days have been quite eye opening, it kind of dulls out how angry I am that my parents just moved us out here without any hints or warnings.

      "Almost there," Dad chimes and Mom turns around and taps my knee.

      "Yeah," I say looking up from the top of my book.

      "Do you recall when we told you the house has some renovating to do?"

      I sit up, "Hooyo, where are you getting these imaginary discussions from? You never told me this!"

      "Calm down," she hushes me, "I must have forgotten."

     "Yeah, you forgot to tell me."

     "Anyway," she sighs, "the house-"

     "So it's a house?"

      She nods her head, "Well, yes."

     "What do you mean well yes?"

     "I meant to say, yes it's a house."

     "Then..." I pause. "What's the problem with it?"

      "It's just that you'll like it when we're done with the things that need to be worked on inside and outside the house."

      "What do you mean it needs to be worked on?" I tense up.

      "Just-"

     "Here we are," Dad comes to her assistants by cutting her off, "home sweet home isn't it Amina?" He pulls into the drive way. I don't want to look at it yet, there's nothing positive can come out of it from what Mom just told me. I ease myself out of the car, managing to stare at my feet the whole time.

     "Look," Mom gasps in awe-she does that to everything I hate. It's going to bad, I thinking to myself. I take in a deep long breath-I can't take it anymore-I have to see how bad this thing is. I slowly move my eyes up and down the massive house I will be calling home for who knows how long.