Weakness

"This is your room Ms. Ross." Jacob, one of Michael's body guards, stood by the door of the last room on the hall and opened it for her.

"The next room is the other one available sir, we'll be waiting there." Michael gave Jacob a nod, handing him his belongings.

As she got inside and Jacob went on to the next room, Michael stood by the door.

The room was painfully minimalistic, only one king size bed, a bathroom, a window with red curtains and a small chest of drawers by the side of the bed. It wasn't the best of the rooms, or the best of the hotels, but it sure was a good cover up, no one would ever imagine Michael Jackson and Diana Ross would be in there.

Diana left her purse on the chest of drawers and walked around the room, checked the bathroom and came back with a towel.

"Here." She handed it to him. "Get yourself dry before you get a cold and ruin your career."

He smiled.

"You need it way more than I do." He stared at her hair, already going back to its untamed appearance.

Diana rolled her eyes as she walked over to the window. He watched her slim figure overshadowed by the city lights that wandered through the curtains.

"Oh Michael, come look at this." She had an almost child like tone to her voice.

Michael put the towel around his neck while he closed the door behind him.

Standing by her left side, he stared out the window.

"Look, despite all of this rain you can still see the moon. How strange!"

The moon was barely visible between the dark clouds above, but its light got through them, giving it an ominous look, perhaps even more beautiful than it would be without the clouds.

"It sure is." Michael agreed, breathing in the cold night air that got in from a small shutter that was still open above the window, occasionally letting in a few raindrops.

They stared up in silence, for a brief moment both of them forgetting the problems they had and the tiredness they were feeling.

Michael had his hands in his pockets. His arm felt like it had a mind of its own, it took him all of his strength not to put it around her waist and pull her closer to him.

He backed off a little, the resentment at the wrongfulness of the thought bringing him back to reality.
She wasn't his anymore.
She was never his.

Silently, he walked back, leaving the towel on the bed, his lips closed tight. He reached the door as she kept staring out, still unaware of his absence.

"Goodnight, Diana." Michael's soft voice traveled across the room, his back facing the door behind him.

Diana turned around, surprised at how distant his voice was. His eyes now held a darker expression. She could notice it from where she was standing, even with the poor lighting. Hurt.

"I'm gonna let you sleep now. Get some rest, okay?" He stared down as he turned around.

"Michael, wait."