Departure

They both laid there still for what could've been hours, for all they knew. Two bodies fused into one, unable to move, gasping for air.

Finally, once her breathing and heart beats felt regular, Diana fell sideways, not an inch away from his body, his arms wrapping her like he was afraid she would vanish.

She rested her head on his chest, she could hear his heart rate, still very uneasy.
Michael placed a hand on her head, bringing her closer. He stared up at the ceiling, the lightbulb above them emitted a faint reflection of their naked bodies.

Ephemeral.

"You told me you'd marry me." He whispered, unaware he had said it out loud. The pain was viscerally palpable in his voice.

She didn't say anything. Her fingers reached his ear. She played around with his curls, pondering about her own feelings.

Diana genuinely didn't know what would happen to them. She knew what she wanted. But what she wanted and what was reasonably possible then were two very different things.

"Michael.. I.." The words refused to leave her mouth. Not because she didn't want to proclaim them, but because they didn't exist.

She had in fact told him that, quite a few times, while they were in similar situations in the past. She realized the effect of her words would forever torture him. And her.

"I know." He let out. He could feel the anguish gathering back inside his chest, the no way street coming to an end once again.

A lonely tear streamed down his cheek. He wiped it with the back of his hand. He would never let her see him cry again.

"You don't." Diana responded.

The cold air finally hit her skin, now that the heat they generated together started to fade away. She started trembling in his arms.

"Because I don't." Her voice cracked as she tried to repress the tears.

Michael grabbed the sheets beside her and wrapped her shaking body in them.

"I'm so sorry, Michael. I don't know what to do." She crumbled up in his arms, as if begging him to decipher her unwanted doubts and take them out of her.

Michael wouldn't say anything. He wouldn't repeat what he had already told her. He knew it would only make it worse.

He wouldn't tell her how she was the only one he had ever wanted. How he wanted to be the one marrying her. How he wanted her to be the mother of his children. How he wanted to take care of her for the rest of his life.
He wouldn't tell her how he wanted to freeze time right then and there. How he didn't care one bit about what other people thought of them. How he became emotionally numb after she pushed him away. How his knees barely collapsed when he learned she would be getting married. Or how devastated he was at the perspective of a future without her.

She already knew all of that. She wouldn't choose him. No matter what her true feelings were. He didn't want to go through that unbearable pain all over again, and he didn't want her pity. He wouldn't pressure her anymore.
Instead, Michael tightened his arms around her.

"It's okay." He comforted her. "Don't worry about it now." His voice resonated in her mind.

Diana felt the heavy wave of exhaustion dominating her senses. Finally giving in to it, she fell asleep.

Michael couldn't sleep, despite being completely drained. He couldn't afford to close his eyes and miss those remaining moments, feeling her breathing calmly in his arms.

The rain, though much lighter now, still poured outside. Few sun rays started to timidly show at the window.

He didn't want to see the daylight and have to be separated from her. Again.
He didn't want to. But he had to.
The haunting thoughts would keep him awake for much longer than he wished.

"I will always be yours." He whispered to the void.

She never listened.

. . .

When Diana woke up, the first thing she noticed was his absence. The light of the day blinded her sight momentanely. Did she imagine all of that?
Her naked body under the sheets confirmed she did not.

She sat up, looking around for him. Her clothes were organized on a pile above the chest of drawers.
His clothes were gone.
Beside the pillow, there was a note. She opened it.

"To my first and only love.

Diana,

You know how I feel about you. You know I am sincere when I say that you are the true love of my life.
I know that you feel something for me, or that you might actually love me, in a way, but I also know it will never be enough.
It is not my intention to make you suffer over your choice.
I understand that this is not what you want for your future.
As much as it pains me to admit it, I know I am not what you need.
Thank you for this one last magical night, I will forever treasure the memories we created.
I beg you to understand that I will not be attending your coming wedding ceremony.
Please, forgive me.
I believe that it will be best for both of us to part ways now, at least for a while.
You don't have to give me an answer. I don't want you to.
When you read this I will already be very distant.
There is a car waiting for you outside. It will take you to your hotel.

I wish you all the happiness in the world. Always remember the good times we shared.

I'm crazy about you.

Love,
                                                Michael."

----------------

A.N.: Let me know what you think in the comments!
Also let me know if you'd like more stories like this, I have a few more ideas in mind.