Chapter 10

Over the next few days I was in a somber dazed-like mood.

Tobias insisted on training me, which I obliged to eventually.

Al's death quickly spread around the school, students avoiding eye contact with Christina and I. Along with Will.

Some gave pets on the back, I hated that.

Al's funeral was held the next day, many people gathering and saying a few words. I was one of those people, choking up every now and then. A glance at Tobias encouraged me to trudge along.

However after all that my grief started to subside, I didn't know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. It seemed as If I was happy for moving along, but at the same time I felt guilty too.

Maybe I wasn't as close to Al as I would like to have been. And that was the worst thing of all.

I talked about it with Tobias, he fully supported my side and said it wasn't my fault.

I wish I could see his point of view.

But after a while I did start to avoid it, to get over it and push on. Now I hardly ever thought about it. Not only that but I was focused on the task at hand, winning capture the flag. I was going to head out tomorrow.

First we catch the train to a lodge, stay there the night, catch a train to the city and there I'll stay in a hotel room with Tobias alone...

I snapped out of my day draw as I got to bed, the evening light barely settling in. Tobias knows how I'm uncomfortable with intimacy, and he has respected that so far.

I wonder how long he will hold out.

A high screeched noise filled my ears, I smashed my hand down on the alarm clock beside me as I groaned. I sat up, blinking multiple times before staggering over to the metal sink. I turned in the cold water and splashed my face, water dribbling down my shirt as well.

Oh well, they are just pyjamas. And at least now I'm awake.

I shuffled back into the room, grabbing my bag full of all the necessary items needed for this trip and I got changed in a black top and black skirt.

Off I went, making sure I was extra quiet so I didn't wake anyone before I walked down and out. I slung my bag over my back, entering the small group of Dauntless people that were willing to go. I pressed myself against Tobias for warmth, Christina was with Will.

I smiled to him as he leant down and whispered, "You ready?" In my ear.

I nodded and got all giddy as I heard the train approaching, the group started running, legs pumping and adrenalin coursing through us. We ran alongside the train, hauling our bodies in with our muscular arms, helping each other out until everyone was on one cart, pressed against the floor.

The cold metal stung the side of my face reassuringly, I smiled against it and gripped Tobias' hand for support.

I opened my eyes and looked at him, his deep blue eyes hoe into mine. A grin placed across his face.

The roar of the wind whizzing past still wasn't loud enough to drown out my heart rate.