epilogue

It’s been 2 months since Calum left the hospital. Calum had back to his normal life without Heidi. Although he still thinking about her sometimes. She hadn’t called him after he back home. Sometimes Calum wondered if she still remembered him as he remembered her.

Calum knew he couldn’t be like this. He should move on, he told himself repeatedly. Heidi maybe had forgotten him because she had an illness that should be more important than remembering him. Yeah, maybe this time he would understand that nothing lasts forever, include her, Heidi.

Calum walked through the hallways of the school. As usual, many students there greeted him and he usually reply with nod or hi. He walked and walked until he met his group of friends sitting on a table of the cafeteria. He took a sit and threw his bag up the table.

“Calum! Mate! Where’ve you been?” said the one with the lip-ring.

“Seems like you’re having a bad day, what’s up?” said the one with a bandanna.

“I’m not. I just don’t feel alright. I –I think I must go to the hospital. Yeah, just to check up my condition.”

“Are you gonna check your condition or that girl you met?” said the green headed boy. But Calum just ignored him which was made the three of them shook their heads.

He got up and pulled his bag to his back. He ran away to the parking lot where his Mustang was parked. He climbed in his car and drove to the hospital.

He arrived at the hospital where he had been spent 2 weeks of his nightmare. He ran to the nurse who stood behind the desk of receptionist.

“Excuse me; does the patient with an eye cancer still here or not? Her name is Heidi, room 497,” Calum said.

“Wait a minute, I’ll check it.” The nurse started to type whatever it is on her computer. “Patient whose name Heidi has moved in ICU room. But I’m afraid she can’t be visited yet.”

“Why? I’m her friend and I just wanna –“

“I know, sir. But it’s our rights to whether allow or not the visitors.” The nurse consisted. There’s no choice for Calum other than to nod and leave. He let the pair of his legs to lead him. He looked down still until the familiar garden he used to visit.

He entered the garden and saw the girl he has been searching for. Yes, there she is. Stood in front of a tree without any expression on her face. Calum jogged to her and reached her shoulder. She looked surprised, of course she surprised. She hadn’t expected anyone to talk or to greet her in that way.

“Hi Heidi, I’m Calum. Remember me? I was in the room next to yours 2 months ago,” Calum said.

The girl –supposedly Heidi looked Calum with a quizzical look. Her lips broke into smile, “Yeah I remember you.” Then she took a sit on the bench that’s situated beneath the tree. Calum sat beside her.

“How are you?” asked Calum.

“Aren’t you supposed to say ‘how do you do’ instead of that? We haven’t even met once,” said Heidi with giggle.

“What? I know you and you know me, so what’s the point I say how do you do?” Calum laughed.

“I don’t know, okay let’s forget about that. I’m great, but have been through a rough time,” Heidi paused a bit while Calum stared at her. “Calum? You there?”

“Uh –uh yes. I’m right here. Sorry I just zoned out. Did you ask me how am I doing?”

Heidi giggled, “No, so, how are you doing?”