Chapter 6: Murchandice

Malcolm's POV

"Ha another one bites the dust." I come out of the lobby boasting about my greatness. "Man it just seems like rank has gotten soooo easy, I'll be S+9 in Splat Zones before I know it."

"Ha that's some big talk, with those abilities I don't think you have what it takes."

"Who's talking?? My abilities are great." I turn around to find a tiny Urchin boy sporting a pretty street attitude. "Who are you?"

"The name's Murch. I couldn't help but overhear your problem, I think I got what you're lookin for."

"What" Does he think he can sway me to buy his products? Not happening."

"It's this thing everyone's been using called Ability Chunks. See you collect a certain number of them from various things and you give em to me and I give you a new slot you want." Hm is this why I've been seeing everyone with three of the same abilities on their gear, I don't know this could be a scam."

The next thing I know I see a crowd of people rushing straight towards him demanding to take their money and chunks. How have I never seen this kid before?? With well rounded abilities I'd probably be unstoppable. "Alright" I squeeze through the Inklings. "How do I get these 'ability chunks?'"

"You get them by going to me, dude. I can take off your secondary slots and turn them into chunks you can use whenever you want." This seems like complicated stuff on paper but I think I get it. "And you can get them in Salmon Run."

"Nah Salmon Run's not really my thing, I'll do the other option."

"Suit yourself. Oh seems like your gear is already maxed out, allow me to scrub those off." I'm not going into detail on the whole scrubbing process, it was uncomfortable. He could've let me change clothes before wiping me dry of stats, the little runt. "All done, you're back to square zero."

"Hey what gives? I suck now."

"Yeah that's how the chunks work. You can see how much you have on your phone. Now go out and get more if you wanna be good." He said with a cheeky smile as I left for the tower.

Yeah I know I said I wouldn't do this but I'm actually interested in giving my gear three of a certain ability. It'd help out a lot, but uh I gotta be more careful in Rank with no secondary abilities, man this is gonna suck. I enter in a Manta Maria Clam Blitz game, there were deadly looking Inklings on the other side but I wasn't worried.

The match starts and I head over to the highest right platform, I wanna survey the team before kicking their asses. It looks like they have a regular Bloblobber, Splat Charger... no wait Firefin. I wish Kiera was here, she's mostly the one keeping track of everything while I defend them. I'll just have to discover the other weapons as I keep playing, so I got down, collected ten clams and rushed for the enemy basket. Of course with no teammates-

"HEY!" A squid jumps out, he caught me totally by surprise and could take me out. Dammit—oh wait he asked to squid party.

"Say what?" I said while holding the power clam.

"Cmon don't you wanna party?"

"Um I'd rather get back to the match and splat you." Ugh these type of players. But this guy looks pretty lazy and uninterested in the match for some odd reason.

"But this is boring me right now. I wanna chill. There's plenty of other matches you can do. We got your team beat hard."

"I'm pretty sure I can handle your team, besides why can't you squid party another time?"

"I don't know, I'll probably feel like fighting later. Or not, I change my mind a lot." Wait a minute I see what's going on, you're distracting me so that your team can hurry up and take me out. I splatted him with no hesitation and proceeded with the game.