Chapter 4

"I'm so sorry for your loss."

Losing a patient was never easy. Especially when they were young and healthy. Trauma cases are called so for a reason. It's hard, both for the patient and their family, and also for the doctors. Samara was lost in thoughts when her phone rang.

Armaan. She picked up.

"Hi." He sounded a bit low. "If you're done with your shift can we meet up?"

"Yeah sure. I just have to check on a few more post-op patients and then I'm free."

"Okay I'm coming to pick you up then."

She tried to keep in touch with him more nowadays, worried that otherwise he might feel lonely and slip into depression. It had already been around 7 months since Daadi passed away, but obviously it wasn't easy for him to get over it. She was afraid that he would break down or shut himself away, but instead what she saw, was a man with a great deal of patience and tolerance. Nothing could ever soothe the kind of pain he felt but he reassured himself that at least his beloved daadi passed away in peace. When the doctors suggested to put her on a ventilator, he refused straightaway. He wanted her to be comfortable in her last days and didn't want her to go through any pain. Samara stood by his decision as well.

*******

They had gone to the rooftop of an office complex on 5th avenue. It was one of Armaan's favorite hangout spots during his college days. The place offered a stunning view and always remained open to public visits.

"How was your day at the hospital?"

"Okay. A young couple were rushed in at the ER today. A bad car crash. The boyfriend got away with a few minor fractures. But the girl had some serious injuries. Had a massive hematoma which burst before we could remove it. Couldn't make it. Her boyfriend broke down completely when we gave him the news. He told me he was going to propose her today. I felt so bad for him. Couldn't even confess his feelings to her." She sighed. It kind of hit Armaan hard. Both remained silent for a little while. "How's Zeba khaala?"

"Good. Keeps checking on me every now and then, but I told her not to worry." Apart from his daadi if there was anyone Armaan considered family, it was his khaala. She lived in Boston but always kept in touch with her nephew. She was the only link Armaan had to his maternal family. Samara was glad to see that she stood by him through the tough times. At least he was not completely alone.

Armaan noticed slight uneasiness on Samara's face.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. Just not a fan of heights." They were sitting on top the cement railing, with their feet hanging down.

"Why didn't you tell me before? We wouldn't sit here then."

"I thought you like it here. You get a really nice view from up here too. But looking down makes me a little queasy. I have no plans of dying as of yet."

"Don't worry." He wrapped his arms around her tightly and pulled her closer. "I won't let you fall." He looked at her the way a girl wants to be looked at. His gaze was locked at her beautiful smile and hers at his eyes. But their moment was disrupted by a sound.

His phone just had to ring now, ugh. Armaan looked at his phone screen and the expression on his face changed instantly. He didn't think twice before rejecting the call. Samara's eyes fell on the caller ID. Dad.

"Why didn't you pick up?"

"To listen to is fake concern? Not needed right now."

"Armaan..."

"He didn't even bother to come at his mother's janaaza. Not that he couldn't have if he really wanted to. But he didn't. What else can you expect from such a man? He called me once last month as well. To ask if I needed something. Like I didn't survive all these years without his support. His only concern for now should be his wife and kids."

Samara could clearly see the annoyance on his face, so didn't say anything more. The last thing she wanted to do was upset him even further. She put her arm around his and interlaced her fingers around his, resting her head on his shoulder.

"What happened to the new commercial you were working on?"

They continued to talk more without realizing it was way past midnight. Samara's phone beeped, that's when she checked her phone and gasped at the time.

"We better be going home now. It's super late. I have a shift in the morning as well."

"Sure. Wait I'll drop you." He carefully got down and held her hands to help her get down as well.

"It's okay Armaan. I'll take the train, plus my home's not much far from here."

"Are you kidding? There's no way I'm letting you go home alone that too at this hour. New York City isn't the safest place in the world okay?" She smiled in agreement. They went down and got up in Armaan's jet black Audi SUV, the other love of his life apart from his guitar. Samara fell asleep in his car on the way.

*******

Her eyes opened to see Armaan sitting beside her on the driving seat with his eyes closed. She looked around and saw that they were at the parking lot of her apartment. Then her eyes fell on the car clock.

"It took us TWO HOURS from 5th avenue to my apartment?!"

Armaan opened his eyes at the remark and turned towards Samara to find her a little baffled.

"No actually. We reached an hour and a half ago."

"So why didn't you wake me up?"

He smiled. "You were sleeping so peacefully, I didn't want to."

She chuckled at his unapologetic reply. "You're totally spoiling me."

"Yes, and I'm loving it."

-------------------------------------------------

Thank You for giving this a read guys. Your feedback means a lot to me.
Love xoxo ❤