Chapter 10

The window of the car was becoming misty as the droplets of rain poured down on it. Samara looked out onto the streets of New York that was lit up with the lights from high rises, billboards and car headlights. New York. Four years ago she moved here from India, with big dreams. Of becoming one of the best cardiothoracic surgeon of the country someday. She set foot, determined, at the very beginning of her journey, when she was accepted into residency program at Mount Sinai. There was no looking back ever since. She never expected to find friendship, relationships and love in the busy streets of this city. But life never failed to surprise her.

She got engaged to the man she loved. Armaan Yasir wasn't exactly the kind of guy she wanted to marry. He was far better. Their engagement was a simple affair, with close friends and family in full attendance. Much to her surprise, Armaan's father has turned up too. He introduced him to her and her family, but that was about it. He didn't talk to him after that, nor did Mr. Rizwan try. Samara didn't mind it, he showed up for his son at the very least. Rizwan Yasir seemed to be man of arrogant nature, very different from Armaan. It didn't take her much time to realize why Armaan wasn't particularly fond of his presence. But it was the night of their engagement, and neither of them could allow such small issues to take away their happiness.

Samara had donned a beige saree, while Armaan wore a royal blue kurta. Their coincidentally color coordinated outfits made them look absolutely regal. The rest of the evening went by like a breeze, amongst friends, food and laughter. Both had decided to postpone the wedding until Samara's residency was complete. They hadn't discussed the details yet, but needless to say they were looking forward to a big fat desi wedding.

Her train of thoughts came to a halt with the driver's voice.

"We're here miss. That'll be $23.45." Did uber hike their prices? She looked down at her phone and realized her ride was actually a long one, but she was so lost in thoughts she didn't realize it. She paid the driver and stepped out of the car. The neighborhood she was standing in was a bit shabby and unknown. Why would Armaan call her to a place like this? She glanced at the address on her phone to check if she was in the correct place. She was. Samara walked ahead and stopped in front of an old 12 or 13 storied building. The door creaked as she pushed it to go in. Inside she found a lift, which she was a little scared to enter, but she did anyways, reciting a little prayer in her mind. Top floor. What was this man planning?

"Armaan?" She found herself in front of a wooden door which probably led to the terrace. The corridor was pretty dark and rugged. The building must've been decades old. Her heart nearly jumped out of her chest when somebody hugged her from the back all of sudden.

"God Armaan! One of these days you're going to give me a heart attack!"

He chuckled as he turned her to face him. "I don't think so. We've got a brilliant cardio surgeon right here remember?" Armaan gestured her to open the door. Inside, it was a completely different world. There were candles placed all around the perimeters of the terrace, along with some floral decorations. At the center, there was a table placed for two, with a beautiful centerpiece of roses and candles. But that was nothing in front of what she saw next. To her right lay the most stunning view of the Brooklyn Bridge in a backdrop of the bejeweled Manhattan skyline. A gasp escaped her lips.

"This is so......fascinating. When did you do all this?"

"I hoping for something more like 'Oh my god I love you Armaan', but yeah this works as well." He smirked at her. "I know the place isn't exactly very...neat. But you get one of best views from up here. And you love views. Just wanted to give you a surprise."

She smiled wide. "Something special?"

"You and I together is the most special thing jaan. Do we really need any other reason to celebrate?" His words sent a smile across her face. Armaan pulled out a chair for her, in a true gentleman manner. This was surely going to be one perfect evening. Or so they thought.

*******

They finished dinner and sat there enjoying each other's company and the pleasant atmosphere.

"So do you plan on telling me what made you do all this?" Samara gestured towards the decorations. "This is a bit too special to be normal, even for your standards."

"Actually there is something I wanted to share with you tonight." Armaan flashed a wide smile. Samara looked at him waiting for him to go on.

"You remember the project I was talking about?"

"The one you were working on day and night?"

"Yeah that. It's something I've been working on for months. My dream project. So today I finalized the deal and signed the contract." The sheer amount of happiness could be seen on his face.

"See I told you, you have the potential."

"Thanks for believing in me. My dream came true Samara! I have my own music company in Karachi, and now I just can't wait to go back and make this thing work."

At the blink of an eye, Samara's smile disappeared from her face.

_______________________________________

Thank you for choosing to give this a read.  As always, eagerly waiting for your feedback and don't forget to vote my loves!