Family is Forever

(Warning: this chapter contains abuse and sensitive topics! Read at your own risk!)

~Tord's POV~

     All was going well. Better than well actually.
     Edd went easier on us with the camp activities, Matt was warming up to me, and Tom was attempting to be more social.
     Long story short, I was actually glad to be here.
     Weeks had passed since the trail hike incident. Us four would talk about it and laugh.
     "All campers report to the front of the camp!" I suddenly heard a counselors voice interrupt my thoughts.
     "Let's go!" Tom said. Without warning he grabbed my hand and ran.
     I heard footsteps behind us, signaling that Edd and Matt were following.
     When we reached the front of the camp, we stopped. All the counselors were standing there.
     The other campers soon arrived. When the last kid showed up, the head counselor started speaking.
     "There are two messages we will be giving! The first is, a few children will be leaving camp early, due to their parents request. If I call your name, please go pack up your stuff!"
     I zoned out, I didn't give two shits about this crap.
     "Hey... Tord?" Edd said from behind me.
     "Hm?
     "Your name got called..."
     At first I thought he was joking, but as I looked at all the campers staring at me I knew he wasn't.
     I swear my heart skipped a few beats.
     "N-no..." I murmured, allowing my tough, cynical disguise to slip. "I can't go back there, please don't make me...!"
     The counselor sighed. "I'm glad you had fun, but your parents requested you come back early."
     That's not what I meant. I stepped back, away from the crowd. There was obvious fear in my eyes.
     Without thinking, I turned and ran into the woods.
     As I ran, I heard Tom call out to me, but I didn't stop. I couldn't stop.

~Tom's POV~

     "Tord!" I called out, but he had run out of sight.
     I looked at Edd and Matt.
     Edd nodded. "Let's go!" He ran off, followed by Matt, followed by me.
     We ran in the direction Tord had gone, hoping to catch up with him.
     We kept running, and running, and soon we all ran out of breath.
     I stopped and leaned up against a tree. Matt joined me while Edd simply slowed his pace and looked around.
     "This is hopeless..." Matt sighed and sat down.
     I looked at him, unsure if I should respond or not.
     "Maybe so... but we can't give up!" Edd said, not looking at either of us.
      "Yeah!" I said without thinking. "He's our friend, friends don't give up on each other!"
      Both of them stopped and stared at me.
      I looked down with embarrassment.
     "Sorry..." I murmured softly.
     "No need... you're right...!" Matt said as he stood up.
     Edd smiled. "I'm glad you care about him Tom"
     Matt smiled as well. "Yeah!"
     I grinned and started walking again, they were more than happy to follow me.
     The thing was, I knew exactly where I was going.
     "I hope I'm right..." I murmured quietly.
     I kept walking until I reached a spot we had all seen before.
     "Why didn't I think of this..." Edd said quietly.
     We were at the tree me and Tord has stopped at before.
     I looked around, and sure enough, Tord was sitting under the tree.
     "Tord!" I called out and ran to him.
     "Huh!?" He said, surprised. The impact of my body caused us to fall over, but I didn't let go.
     "Why'd you run off?" I said, lowering my voice a little.
     "I... it doesn't matter..." Tord murmured.
     "Yes it does!" I said, louder than I usually would speak. Tord looked at me in shock.
     "It matters to us Tord... we care about you...!" My voice had mow softened to a whisper. "Please tell us..."
     Tord sighed. "Ok Puppy, I'll tell..."
     I climbed off him and let him sit up.
     "You see..." Tord hesitated before continuing. "My parents aren't the nicest..."
     I tilted my head, not quite understanding.
     Tord noticed my confusion.
     "Let me show you..." he pulled off his red hoodie, which he hadn't taken off once during camp, even while sleeping.
     I didn't understand until my gaze lowered towards his arms, which were covered in scars and healing bruises.
     I looked back up at his eyes, which were filled with sadness.
     "You mean they..." I trailed off, knowing everyone understood already.
     "That's why you didn't trust anyone..." Edd spoke up, using a softer tone than normal.
     Tord nodded, tears forming in his eyes.
     He was never mean or cynical, he was only acting the part to keep people away.
     I hugged him tightly.
     "I'm so sorry..." I whispered. He hugged back.
     "Its ok..." he responded. "It's not your fault they're assholes..."
     The moment was interrupted by the sound of footsteps.
     We all turned to see the main counselor standing there.
     "I thought you'd be here" they said.
     Tord put his hoodie back on quickly.
     "Come along, all of you"
     Edd and Matt agreed, afraid to break the rules.
     I let go of Tord and hesitantly did the same.
     Tord stayed put.
     The counselor sighed. "You three go back"
     We all nodded and started walking. The last thing I saw before the trees blocked my view was Tord's pleading eyes watching me leave.
     I'm sorry...
     We all walked back in silence. No one wanted to speak and if they did there was nothing they could say.
     When we walked back, we saw two adults we hadn't ever seen before. They looked a lot like Tord.
     "Must be his parents..." Edd whispered to me and Matt.
     Matt nodded and I just stared at them.
     A few minutes later, the counselor walked out of the forest dragging a struggling Tord by his hood.
     The counselor walked to the people we assumed to be his parents.
     "Here you go! Sorry it took so long, he ran off!"
     "Oh, that's ok! He sure is adventurous!" The women laughed and took Tord's hand.
     I noticed that it wasn't a gentle touch like most parents would do. She was squeezing Tord's hand as hard as she could.
     "Goodbye Tord, we hope to see you next summer!" The counselor smiled and walked away. Edd followed of course, being the nature kid. Matt followed Edd for reasons I didn't know.
     Instead of going with them, I walked up to Tord.
     "Is this really goodbye...?" I asked, hoping everything was a bad dream.
     Tord nodded, unable to speak since he was holding back tears.
     An idea popped into my head suddenly.
     "Wait here!" I said and ran off, I came back with my teddy bear, which I'd had since I was born.
     "Take this to renember me by...!" I handed him the stuffed toy.
     He paused before taking it.
     "T-thank you..." he whispered so his parents couldn't hear.
     "Come on you little shit!" His mom said suddenly, her sweet cover-up gone. She kicked him roughly in the leg.
     Tord yelped and tightened his grip on the toy.
     His mom glared at me.
     "Leave before I hit you too!" She growled and hit Tord over the head.
     I looked at Tord to see tears spilling from his grey eyes.
     I guess I hesitated too long bevause I suddenly felt a foot against my chest, I fell backwards with the breath knocked out of me.
     I was unable to get up as I watched Tord get dragged into a car. I heard the engine start.
     I reached out my arm towards the car.
     "T-Tord...!" I said with the little breath I had.
     Tord looked at me out the back window.
     "I'm so sorry... goodbye..." he mouthed to me with a sad smile and tears falling down his face.
     I watched in sadness and disbelief as the car drive away.
    I loved him, and I let him leave.
    How pathetic could I possible be?
    I just laid there, breathing slowly and heavily. My chest hurt from the kick. I was sure there would be a bruise soon.
     "Goodbye... Tord..." I said, though it was barely audible.
     I'm so sorry I failed you...