11. Wild Horse

VICTORIA POV

Faye was a lot drunker than I thought and I had the unfortunate task of dragging her out of the car and up the stairs to our apartment. I'd just killed the ignition when I see movement out of the corner of my eye. I look into the darkness through my window only to see nothing.

I'm way too tired for this shit.

I continue peering out into the night until a pair of hands thump the window. "AHHH CHEESE ON FUCKING CRACKER!", I scream. In a panic, I fumble around in the car trying to find some sort of weapon. The only thing I could find was Faye's hairspray can. "Whoever you are, you need to back the fuck up! Or I'll, I'll—"

"V! It's me!", I hear a familiar voice call out.

"Benji, what the hell!?", I yell, my voice muffled through the glass. "What kind of psycho just sneaks up on people in the dark!?"

"I'm sorry! I was about to go upstairs, but I saw that Faye's car was on so I wanted to see if you guys were together... I wanted to talk to you..." I can see his silhouette, standing silent. I pull the keys out the ignition and open the car door.

"What were you planning on doing with that anyway?", he laughs, pointing at the hairspray. "Give me my hair a luscious strong hold?" Unamused, I whip out the can inches from his face in my best karate stance.

"Okay, okay!", he pleads as he puts his hands in there air in surrender. "Can we just talk, V? Please?"

I roll my eyes. I'm too tired to send him away at this point. "Fine, but only if you help me carry this dead body up the stairs", I motion to Faye.

Can't believe she slept through this entire ordeal.

"Deal", Benji agrees. I open the passenger door and he carefully lifts her over his shoulder.

"Paul?", Faye mumbles, half asleep. "Tell me what you like."

I can't help but snicker. Yeah, baby, it's me", I whisper in her ear. "I just want you to rub hot sauce all over my body and lick it off".

"Mmm, I like that", she mumbles again.

Benji and I just look at each other in disgust. "Gross", we say in unison. I open the door to the apartment and Benji goes to Faye's room to dump her onto the bed.

"She okay?", I ask as he walks out into the hallway.

He smiles. "Yeah, rolled her  onto her side in case she pukes".

He sits down on the dining chair in the kitchen. I make two mugs of coffee out of the Keurig and set one down in front of Benji.

"Thanks", he says as he takes a sip.

I steal a glance at him, his brown hair was disheveled and it was the first time I'd seen him in a tee shirt. I was still angry with him from earlier, but I couldn't help but admire how his arms flexed every time he picked up the mug. "Why are you here, Benji?", I ask, almost a whisper.

He bites bottom lip, furrowing his brows at the words he was choosing to say. "I came to say 'I'm sorry. I know I fucked up, I truly know. It wasn't right of me to control you like that, to tell you what to do. I'm sorry for playing the boss card too, that was low of me..."

He pauses for a moment to gather his thoughts. The stubborn side of me wants so badly to knife my thoughts into him, but I wanted to listen to Faye's advice. So I sipped my coffee and just let him speak.

"You know, my dad to this day still tells me who/what/where. I mean, I can't even get a bite to eat unless it's in the Palms", he continues, his concentration on the mug in his hands. "I hate it. I hate it so much. It's a little messed up, but maybe I just wanted to feel some sort of control with you, you know? I didn't have control over anything growing up and hearing you disagree with me only made me want it more".