1. Down On My Knees

As I shifted uncomfortably in my seat, I couldn't help but look at my hand. Then I looked over at Emery, who was seated two chairs away from me. He smiled slightly and mouthed something to me, but I couldn't quite make out what he said. All I knew is that I felt a wave of panic come over me when the head of our management, Alex, walked into the room. I think we both knew what was about to happen. But somehow, Emery was more calm about it than I was.

"What you two have done," Alex said, slapping his hands on his desk as he sat down. "Is completely inexcusable."

Emery and I looked at each other again, but this time he looked a bit stunned. Probably because of how loud Alex was speaking, and how loud it was when he slapped his hands on his desk. Emery drew in a breath before scooting the chair a bit closer to the desk.

"In Ricky's defense, he had no idea I was going to do that. I didn't tell him, because I wanted it to be a surprise. I had it all planned out, it was going to be perfect. And it was perfect, I think." Emery said, then turned his head to look at me, as if he needed confirmation from me.

"Um. It really was wonderful. And I truly didn't expect it, but, Emery can't take all of the blame. I was the one that said y-"

"I don't want to hear any excuse. Do you not realize how hard we've worked to keep this whole thing hidden? You have gone too far with this."

"First of all, we didn't want to have to-"

"Give me it." Alex said, pointing to my hand.

I looked at my hand, then looked over at Emery. Just looking at him reminded me of why we were even here in the first place.

****48 hours earlier****

"We just want to say thank you to everyone that came out to see us. You're all wonderful. But the night's not over yet! You guys are about to witness something that hasn't happened at any of our previous concerts, and won't happen at any of our future concerts... hopefully. If all goes as planned." Emery said with a slight laugh. It almost sounded like a nervous laugh. And I wasn't quite sure what was going on, because I had no idea we had anything else planned for the night.

Usually we go out into the crowd after each show and take photos with fans, so I had started to walk out into the crowd before Liam grabbed my arm. I was so confused.

"You see, 4 years ago tonight.. something very special happened." Emery said as he walked across the stage.

The crowd went silent with anticipation of what Emery was going to say next. But, I knew what special thing happened 4 years ago, and I also knew that it was our best kept secret. I almost wanted to yell out 'Emery, stop', but for some reason I didn't. I wanted to know how he was going to say it, and I wanted to know what else he had to say.

"4 years ago on this very day.." Emery paused for a moment and looked over at Liam for a moment, motioning for him to bring me to him. Liam took me over to Emery and patted my back some before walking away. "This beautiful human being became my sweet little something." Emery said with a big smile as he took my hand in his, then held our hands up in the air for a moment.

Fans screamed. Some with excitement, some with disappointment.

I just stood there in shock. I had no idea why he was doing this.

"And since it's a special night already." Emery said and let go of my hand before turning to face me. "I thought there wouldn't be any better way to say 'happy anniversary', than to do this."

He paused for a moment and looked out into the crowd, letting out a slight nervous laugh before looking at me again, then getting down on one knee. "Ricardo Rene Garcia Jr, will you marry me?" Emery then pulled out a little box and opened it to reveal an engagement ring. It was simple, yet beautiful.

"I... Don't know what to say.. I.." I looked down at my hands, and realized that I was shaking a little. For a couple months, I did have a feeling that Emery might have been planning to propose, but I didn't expect it to be then, and I sure as hell didn't expect it to be so... public. Nothing could have prepared me for that moment.

"Just say yes. You know you want to." Liam said from behind us and I let out a small laugh as I looked down at Emery.

A single tear rolled down my cheek as I somehow managed to say: "Of course I'll marry you." It wasn't a tear of sadness, but a tear of joy. Ever since Emery and I started dating, I knew that I wanted to marry him. And it was finally going to happen.

Emery smiled real big and slid the ring onto my finger before standing up and wrapping his arms around my waist, holding me close as he turned to face the crowd. "He's gonna be a Kelly!" Emery shouted excitedly, then bent his head down slightly to kiss the top of my head.

"Come on, let's go." Liam said quietly before walking out into the crowd.

****present time****

"This is ridiculous." Emery said and scoffed a little. "You're seriously taking his ring? What's that even going to do?"

"You two are going to play that whole thing off as a joke. The ring never existed. You just thought it would be funny to do a fake proposal.. no ring needed. Just looked like you put a ring on his finger."

"Oh, come on, you can't be serious." Emery said, standing up. "People saw the proposal... it didn't even look like a joke. I mean, he cried! And we kissed. And you saw how excited I was when he said yes. I literally-"

"We didn't kiss." I muttered.

"Babe." Emery said, reaching over to touch my hand.

"We didn't kiss." I repeated. "You kissed my head. That was the only kiss that happened." I then lifted my head and looked over at him.

"Exactly." Alex said, crossing his arms. "Now hand over the ri-"

"You didn't let me finish." I said and Alex crossed his arms. "That doesn't make it any less real. I'm not giving you my ring. I'm not calling this a joke, and we sure as hell are getting married."

"Yeah, what he said. He's got it right. Let them be happy. Fuck you, babboon." Liam said and flipped Alex off.

"Dude... What have you been smoking?" Emery said and looked over at Liam.

"Marriage-oooanna." Liam said and Emery started laughing a bit.

"Oh my god, are you serious? Are you baked?" Emery said and Liam and I both busted out in laughter.

"No, oh my god. I was kidding. Do you smell weed?" Liam said and I kept laughing.

"I'm pretty sure he would've pronounced marijuana correctly, even if he was high." I said and Emery shook his head a little.

"How did this turn into a shit show?" Emery said as we all kept laughing. "We should just go."

"We will. But first Alex should know that he's fired." I said and stood up.