diners - mileven

note: mike and eleven are about 16-17 in the oneshots, el is in highschool w the guys and hopper and joyce are married and she's living with will and all them. enjoy!

Eleven pov

i glanced over at mikes alarm clock
2:37 a.m.
i sighed, knowing i should head home but not wanting to.
i've been spending most nights here, and i know Mike definitely doesn't mind it, but i'm sure his parents and mine don't love the idea of me sleeping in his room every night. i couldn't sleep anyways so i might as well head home for the night. i don't think i'll sleep any better without mike there, but if i wasn't sleeping anyways it didn't quite matter. i glanced up at mike's sleeping face. he looked so calm and peaceful, the years of stress he's had don't show on his face when he sleeps, unless he's having a nightmare. the moonlight shone through his curtains, casting a pale glow on his pale face.
i placed my lips upon his cheeks and whispered "I love you" to him before untangling myself from his limbs. i felt around his floor, finding my pants and shoes so i could slip them on before exiting his room.
i was almost out the door when i heard mike shift and call out or me.
"El, where're you going?"
"shh, mike. i'm gonna head home, try to go back to sleep." he sat up, reached out, and opened and closed his hand in a grabbing motion. i giggled and made my way towards him, sitting on his lap.
"you getting homesick?" he questioned me. i leaned my head on his shoulder before answering.
"anything but, i'd much rather stay here with you, but you know our parents don't like how much we've been sleeping over at each other's houses." he scoffed slightly.
"pfft, who cares what they think. it's not like we're doing anything horrible. just normal teenage things." i placed a kiss on his lips and got an idea.
"ooh, mike get dressed, and hurry!"
"that's not what you told me to do last night."
"oh for fucks sake michael, just do what i say or i'm going home."
"only kidding, princess! but why should i get dressed, it's nearly 3 a.m."
"the diner downtown is open 24/7, right?" i questioned. he thought for a second before nodding his head.
"well i am in dire need of fries and a chocolate milkshake! now hurry!" i grabbed his arm and pulled him off the bed, turning on his light and throwing his pants and shirt towards him, urging him to be quicker as i looked for my purse.
within no time we were in his car on our way to the diner. i rolled down the windows and turned up the radio, greatly appreciating the cool summer air. he laughed as we both sang along to our song.
every smile you fake
he grabbed my hand and kissed my knuckles right above the promise ring he had given me for our two year anniversary.
every claim you take
i laughed and felt weightless, no worries in my mind, because i was with mike, and all that mattered was him and i and the love we shared.
i'll be watching you
we both smiled as he turned down the radio and pulled up to the diner, the electric sign brighter than the moon and shining bright reds and pinks onto our faces.
"hey, jill!" i began once we sat down. "i will have a large order of fries and a small chocolate milkshake please!"
"and i'll just have a hot fudge sundae please," mike spoke much quieter than me, his gaze on me rather than the waitress.
"coming right up you two!" she gave the chef our order and began to make small talk.
"so how is hawkin's favorite couple doing and why on earth are they out this early?" she exclaimed. we both giggled as mike explained.
"well, el couldn't sleep and when she went to leave she accidentally woke me up, confessed she had a craving for fries and a milkshake, and ten minutes later here we are!"
"gosh if i didn't know any better i'd assume you two just started dating based on the way you act! just like to newly weds on a honeymoon." we laughed and i leaned into mikes arms, gazing at him lovingly.
not much time has passed when our food was given to us and we didn't hesitate shoveling food in our mouths. i noticed mike stealing a french fry from my large pile that i knew i wouldn't finish, and willed it out of his hand and into my mouth.
"hey! i just wanted one fry!" he complained.
"well you should've gotten your own order" he pouted at me until i rolled my eyes and pushed my basket towards him so he could take some. he smiled wide as he grabbed a small handful of them and dipped them in his ice cream.
we sat there in comfortable silence until we finished our food. i payed while mike went out to start the car, the two of us with smiles on our faces and sleep creeping up on us.
we made our way back to his house but didn't want to walk all the way up there his room, so we kicked off our shoes and crashed on his couch, our chests pressed against each other. i leaned down and kissed him, tasting salt on his lips from the fries.
"i love you baby" i mumbled under my breath as sleep overtook me. before i drifted off i heard him speak as well
"i love you more princess."
we fell asleep content, and unknowing that late night ice cream and fry trips would soon become a most valued tradition of ours.