Chapter 13

Chapter 13

I felt as if I had been slacking on my reading, so I took some time to finish up The Old Man and the Sea and move onto my next classic- To Kill a Mockingbird. It was a nice night outside, and the stars were out, so I made myself some tea and went out to the porch to read.

          I sat cross-legged in my Josh Groban t-shirt and blue pajama pants, and discovered that I rather liked this book. After a while, I heard someone approaching me. I looked up at Ignazio, smiling and holding his notepad.

          “I wrote some more lyrics,” he said, sitting next to me. “Will you give them to Gianluca when you go in?”

          “Sure,” I said, taking the page he ripped out the pad for me. “What’s it about?”

          “More about Italy…and Gianluca started writing a new song, but he wrote the lyrics in my notepad, so I’m giving them back to him.”

          “What’s it about?”

          “Oh…just some things he was thinking about on Piero’s porch.”

          I waited for him to say more, but he didn’t, just kinda half-smiled at me.

          I stuck the pages in my book, and then looked up to see Piero approaching us, his Beats headphones over his ears.

          He took them off and let them hang around his neck.

          “Hey, Piero,” I said.

          He held up his hand in a peace sign and sat on the other side of me.

          “You telling her about today?” he asked Ignazio.

          “What happened today?” I asked, turning to Ignazio.

          He smiled and leaned back on his arms.

          “Gianluca’s gonna kill us…” he warned, grinning.

          “Aw, who cares?” Piero said, grinning back.

          “You tell her, then!” Ignazio said, and Piero smiled quietly at me.

          “Come on, guys!” I said, looking back and forth at them.

          “Okay, okay!” Ignazio said, leaning in to me. “Naomi, Gianluca is like, obsessed with you!”

          “He could not stop talking about you for a minute!” Piero said. “And usually he doesn’t even talk that much!”

          “And he would start smiling, and we would ask him what he was thinking about…” Ignazio said.

          “And of course, he’d be thinking about you!” Piero finished.

          Gosh, talking to them was like watching a tennis match. I had to keep looking back and forth as they talked.

          “He loves you, Naomi,” Piero said, becoming suddenly serious, “As in, really loves you!”

          There were butterflies in my stomach, and a warmth in my chest, and I giggled.

          “We thought you should know,” Ignazio said, watching me. “We know that he can be quiet and tend not to say what he thinks sometimes.”

          Piero leaned forward.

          “Aw, Gianluca’s gonna kill us when he finds out we told on him!”