Chapter 14

Chapter 14

The next morning, I went out to walk on the beach, and I went wading in the shallow water.

Then I set out walking, wondering where I would end up, which turned out to be in front of a long field containing several badgers and porcupines. I reached an enormous hill, and I climbed to the top and discovered that I could see all the way to the area where Gianluca’s home was. I ran down the hill, laughing like a little child, and almost fell at the bottom. I kept walking, and found some wild rosemary plants, which I filled my pockets with for my mother. A little while later, I came across a huge field of grapevines, probably a place where the winemakers make their famous drink. I leaned on the fence to take in the sight, and then decided I should start back to Gianluca’s house, not wanting to worry him too much.

When I got back, I discovered that the adults had departed for a hike, and Gianluca was still asleep. Gosh, he could sleep late! It was past nine! Well, late for me, I guess. I went to get To Kill a Mockingbird to read while I waited for him to get up.

When he finally did, I heard him rushing around upstairs, and then I turned to see him run down the stairs, pulling on a T-shirt as he went.

          He reached for the keys on the counter, then spotted me curled up on the couch. He sighed in relief, closing his eyes and running his hands over his face and through his hair.

          “Relieved I’m still alive?” I asked.

          He raised his eyebrows, then shook his head.

          “I don’t understand! I set an alarm. You saw it-”

          He stopped and folded his arms in realization.

          “You turned off my alarm?” he asked, unamused.

          I smiled.

          “Yes.”

          “Naomi!”

          I giggled and turned back to my book.

          He sighed again and went about making himself breakfast.

          He sat at the counter, his brow furrowed in defeat, eating his cereal.

          I watched him quietly, smiling.

          He caught me watching him.

          “What?”

          I patted the couch next to me, and he picked up his cereal to come sit next to me, stretching his feet out to rest on the coffee table.

          I continued reading, and all was quiet except for the sound of Gianluca’s spoon occasionally clinking against the edge of the bowl.

          I looked up at him.

          “Gianluca, would you want me to read to you?”

          A smile broke through his serious expression.

          “I would love if you read to me.”

          He drank the last of the milk from the bowl and leaned forward to set it on the coffee table.

          Then he opened his arm, and I got close to him to lean against his chest.

          “Chapter five. “My nagging got the better of Jem eventually, as I knew it would, and to my relief we slowed down the game for a while. He still maintained, however, that Atticus hadn’t said we couldn’t, therefore we could; and if Atticus ever said we couldn’t, Jem thought of a way around it…”

 As I read, I could feel him watching me, and I enjoyed it. I had his complete attention, and I looked up to share a smile with him whenever I read something particularly cute or funny.

          When I finished the chapter I asked, “Should I stop?”

          “One more, please,” he said, and so I turned the page and began chapter six.

          When I finished, I closed the book and looked up at him, and he kissed my forehead and stood, taking his empty bowl to the sink. I followed him and leaned on the counter.

          “Gianluca, can we do something today?”

          “Like what?” he asked, rinsing out the bowl.

          “Like…go on a date.”

          He smiled, and set the bowl down, turning to face me, resting his elbows on the counter.

          “Well, the boys and I have some songwriting to do…”

          “Oh.”

          “But how about dinner?”

          “Dinner’s good!”

          He came over to me.

          “I know a great little place we can go to,” he said, taking my hands and kissing them.

          “Sounds fun.”

          “How about seven?” he asked.

          “That’s fine. What should I wear?”

          “I would like you to wear a dress. And I’ll wear my suit, since you like when guys wear suits.”

          “Perfecto!” I said, leaning in to kiss him.

          “Ti amo, Naomi.”

          I smiled.

          “Ti amo!”