Chapter 4: Shop

Lance's POV
We're in silence.
And I hate it.
I really hate it.

Pidge had gone to sit next to Keith, so I don't have anyone to talk to, as Hunk looks ready to vomit.

Screw it.
I'm asking again.

"Where are we actually going?"

Shiro sighs.
"Lance. We don't know. For now? Just out and away from the city."

So now?
Now I get to stare out of the window.

Keith's POV
I'm staring out if the window.
Just like I've been doing for the whole journey.

The side of my head cracks against the window as Matt, who's still driving, makes a sharp turn off the motorway.

"Matt? Where're we going?"
"Just making a stop."

And now I'm confused. What stop could we be making in the fucking zombie apocalypse?
Stupid question. Food? Weapons? Transport?

Sure enough, after ten minutes of Shiro attempting to read a map (that was in the glove box), we pull up outside a shopping complex-ish area.
I say -ish because there's a massive gardening shop, a food shop and a sports shop. Not exactly a complex but screw it.

Pidge raises the first question.
"Which do we go to first?"
"No idea. Let's take a vote."
Everyone nods, no one really wanting to talk.
"Sports gear"
Me, Pidge, Hunk and Matt put up our hands.
Matt smirks at Shiro who clearly wanted to get food first which is illogical seeing as if there's any corpses inside we haven't got anything to attack them with; we have literally no weapons.
So we pull up outside the shop.

"So who's staying in the coach?"
Lance, haven't heard him for a while, well no one's really been speaking but Lance generally talks a lot.
"We should all go in. We can't leave one person in here, what if they get mobbed? They're screwed. We all need to go in."
And Lance looks like he's been trodden on.
"Fuck off mullet."
I stare at him.
He's a fucking idiot, worse he's an arrogant idiot.

I'm in the process of getting up from my chair when Pidge gives me a look.
I sit back down.
Sometimes I really hate her.

We quickly run in to the store. Pidge and Matt check behind us while me and Hunk check there're no zombies to the sides of us while Lance and Shiro look directly in front.
We're all clear. No zombies.
"Fan out across the store in twos and get anything that could be any help. Clothes, shoes, weapons, whatever."

And Shiro immediately assumes role as leader.
Or at least the speaking role; I think Matt's also in charge, just silently. They work really well together.

I'm with Pidge, as they're the one I'm least likely to kill out of annoyance, despite them being the most annoying after Lance.
"What do we get first?"
"Some form of weapon, just a bat or something, we can get better later, just something so while we're getting other shit we can at least vaguely defend ourselves."
I nod.
We go over to a section where apparently there's a Chance of a lifetime sale. What I want to know is how a can sale be a chance of a lifetime?
Actually. I suppose it could be a lifeline for us but, then again it's not like we're going to pay for it anyway, but what the fuck?
I grab a softball bat.
"Now?"
"Shoes. We're undoubtedly going to be doing a lot of running; we're going to need them."
This is one of the reasons I'm friends with Pidge; always smart and logical. Always.

We both find trainers that fit us, and are comfortable, then I break the lock to the back rooms, with the softball bat. Back here is where all the boxes of shoes are so we grab a couples of boxes of the shoes we chose.

Pidge runs out and grabs a bag and then we apparently have to go up to the top floor to get clothes because, well, we might not get another chance to get stuff. Gotta use it while we can.

We meet Hunk and Lance at the entrance.
Shiro and Matt aren't back yet.