32

"Welcome, to Carrie The Musical

"Welcome, to Carrie The Musical." Kevin says as we all sit down. Fangs pulls up a chair next to Toni and I. "Okay. Next, introductions."

"I'm Archie, I'm playing Tommy Ross, the boy next door." Archie says as we start to go around the circle.

"I'm Betty, I play Sue Snell, the good girl." She says.

"Veronica Lodge, playing mean girl Chris Hargensen." She says with a smile.

Cheryl stands up, commanding everyone's attention. "I'm Cheryl Blossom, playing the iconic role of Carrie White."

Someone coughs "Tone deaf" under their breath, I look around to see who it was. Every since Cheryl got back I've been ready to fight anyone who even looks at her slightly funny.

"Who's playing your mom, Margaret White?" Ethel asks.

"I will." Mrs.Cooper walks in from the side stage door.

"Mom?" Betty asks.

"Wait, seriously?" Ethel asks Kevin.

"Settle down. Yes, it's untraditional but to me, there is nothing more amateur than age-inappropriate casting." Kevin says.

"I'm really looking forward to getting to know this woman, you know, get under her skin. And of course, to spend some quality time with my daughter, Elizabeth." Mrs.Cooper says.

"Sorry," Everyone turns to see Chuck Clayton walking on stage, "I thought rehearsal was in the music room."

"No problem. All are welcome here." Kevin says to us in a waring voice.

I look over to Betty and Veronica and we're all sharing the same look.

Kevin lets us take a quick water break before we start rehearsing. So I take this as an opportunity to go over the songs. I'm just apart of the ensemble so I don't have any lines.

Someone sits down in the empty seat next to me and clears their throat.

"What do you want, Chuck?" I say not bringing my eyes up from the script.

"Okay, you're still mad." He says cautiously.

I snap my head up to look at him, "You think so? Why would I be mad at the guy that put me in a misogynistic playbook and then outed me in front of the whole school?"

"Look, I want to apologize, I shouldn't have said that. That was for you to tell not me. I'm really sorry, Beverly." He says. I can hear the genuineness in his voice but I'm reluctant to believe him.

"Thank you, Chuck, and I forgive for the playbook but it's gonna take a little more time for the other wound to heal." I say.

He nods, "Okay. I understand."

....................................

"Act one, scene one." Kevin intructs us.

"Actually," Cheryl stands up from her seat and throws her script down, "Before we begin, I've heard whisperings that some of you ensemble-vultures don't think I'm fit to play or sing the role of Carrie White. So to settle this once and for all - Maestro?" She says and snaps her fingers.