Chapter 18: Maybe. Maybe Not

Scully's POV

I sat at a table with Monica in art class. While listening to the art teacher, I was drawing a picture of Mulder looking up at the stars with my pencil. I was drawing his hair. I felt Melissa looking over at my drawing. I heard her sigh. I stopped drawing and looking over at Monica who as grinning slightly. "What?" I asked putting down my pencil.

  Monica out her head in her hand. "You like him don't you?" She asked.

  "What are you talking about?"

  "Mulder."

  "What about him?"

  Monica sighed and roller her eyes. "You're so naïve, Dana."

  I cocked my head. "Sorry?"

  "Oh my God, Dana. Do you like Mulder?"

  "Of course I like him. He's the first friend I've made here. I'm glad I have him as a friend."

  "No, I'm not asking if you like him like that, dumbass. Do like him romantically?"

  I immediately shook my head. "No, no, no. Absolutely not. Mulder and I are just friends."

  "Are you sure?"

  "Of course I'm sure. I don't want a relationship right now, maybe not ever. Im focusing on my schoolwork right now. I want to be a doctor, and no man is going to get in my way of that."

  "I like your passion. But I'm sure you know that it's not the worst thing in the world to be in a relationship."

  I looked down at my drawing. "Wait. Have you never had a boyfriend before?"

  I didn't say anything. "No, I've had no reason to. And plus, no one's ever liked me in that way."

  "How do you know?"

  "I just know. Why would they? I'm not exactly girlfriend material."

  "How would you know if you've never been a girlfriend before?"

  "I just know, okay? No one I've ever liked has liked me back in the same way, so I've just stopped expecting anyone to like me romantically. I've taken out the part of my life that revolves around guys. I'm trying to focus on school right now. I want to be a doctor. I'm going to graduate this year, go to college, go to medical school and become a doctor. That's my plan."

Monica coked her head. "I don't see any sort of relationship in your future."

"That's the point. I don't need a relationship. Not now, not ever. I don't see myself ever having a significant other."

"Dana, I hate to break it to you, but you need a man in your life."

"Why?"

"Because it's just part of life. And you need a boyfriend. And I'm sure there a few guys who me want to go out with you."

"Really? Who?"

"Do I really need to say?"

I rolled my eyes. "I don't want to talk about this anymore."

"Ok. Let's talk about something else."

"What?"

"Clothes."

Oh god. Why clothes? "Why?"

"I mean this in the nicest way possible, Dana. But your sense of fashion is very tomboyish."

"Is that a bad thing?"

"No. I just think that you could expand your stylish horizon."

"Sorry, I don't speak girl."

"I want to take you shopping."

"Why?"

"Can you just trust me?"

I hesitated for a few seconds. I let out a sigh. "I guess, but if I end up looking like a hooker, I'm blaming you."

"Ok I won't."

"If you don't mind, can we take Mulder's sister shopping too? She needs a makeover too."

"Ok. That's fine with me."

Monica and I sat in silence. I looked over to my right at Sam. She looked like she was drawing something. I couldn't tell what it was because her hair was acting as a curtain. She was really focused. I tapped her on the shoulder. She looked up from her drawing. I looked down at what she was drawing for a split second. She was drawing a black and white picture of a girl on the beach looking out the sunset as the wind blew through her hair. She didn't have a fade. Her back was facing me. Sam's drawing reminded me of the dream I had a few nights ago.

  I looked back up at Sam. "What do you want?" She asked.

  "Monica and I want to take you shopping after school." I said.

  Sam raised her eyebrow. "Why?"

  "I don't really know either. It's mainly Monica. She thinks we need a makeover."

  Sam sighed. "Ok. I guess. It's not like I have anything better to do."

  I turned back towards Monica. "Sam's in."

  "Great." Monica said with a smile.

  "Do you have a car we can drive? Where are the malls here? I've haven't been around LA much."

  "There are so many malls in LA. You have no idea. I'm thinking we go to Forever 21, Urban Outfitters, Macy's, Pacsun, American Eagle, and Abercrombie & Fitch. Then k think we should go to Sephora for some makeup."

  "Woah, woah, woah. Slow down. I thought you said we were just clothes shopping. You never said anything about makeup. Plus, I don't need makeup. I barley use the little makeup I own."

  "Dana, you're hot. You need realize that. I know Mulder thinks you're hot."

  I let out an annoyed sigh and rolled my eyes. "Enough with this Mulder crap already."

  Monica put her hands up in defense. "Ok, ok. But we are going makeup shopping too."

  "Fine."
————————————
  The end of the school day...

  The last bell rang and school ended. I gathered my things and walked out of the classroom.  I started walking to my locker, keeping in mind that I'd be meeting Sam and Monica by the home ec room. I heard someone jogging up to me. I turned to see Mulder walking next to me. He was smiling down at me. "Hey Mulder." I said with a small grin.

  "Hey Scully. Do you want to go to the park after school?" He asked. I could hear the hope in his voice, hoping I'd say "yes"

  I sighed. "I can't. Reyes is forcing me and Sam to go shopping after school."

  Mulder looked at me up and down. "I think your style is...fine."

  "Great, so you don't like the way I dress?"

  Mulder's eyes grew wide. "No, no. It's not that."

  I chuckled lightly, tucking a piece of my hair behind my ear. "Maybe we can go to the park tomorrow. Promise."

  "Promise?" Mulder asked we puppy dog eyes. He pushed out his lower lip.

  I squeezed his bicep. "Promise. I'll see you tomorrow Mulder."

  Mulder nodded. "Ok. Bye Scully."

  He smiled and I grinned. I walked away. I got my backpack and put my stuff in it. As I walked down the hall I saw Sam and Monica leaning against the wall with their arms crossed in the same pose. They had smirks on their faces. I walked up to them. "What now?" I asked.

  "Are you sure you don't like my brother? I mean I don't care if you do. You'd be great for my brother. I just want to know." Sam said bluntly.

  "You and me both. Do you like the hot nerd or not?" Monica asked.

  I looked down. Let's play a game. I smirked. "Maybe. Maybe not."