I promise, Little One

I jolted up and sucked in a long breath.

A heard a little shriek come from the right of me and a dark figure moving closer to the wall.

"Holy shit that hurts," I hissed out.

My back was on fire and my head was pounding. I reached up and rubbed my forehead while taking a deep breath, trying to steady my lungs.

I heard a little whimper towards the back corner and I snapped my head around to see who it came from.

What I saw stole the air out of my lungs again.

Shaking in the back corner was a little girl around the age of 12.

Even in the dark, I could see her long, light brown hair cascading down her shoulders and her deep chocolate eyes looking at me with tears that threatened to fall. Her little body was shaking in her ratted clothes.

We stared at each other in silence, both of us sharing the same look of disbelief.

What was a girl so young doing here?

I broke away and let my eyes wander around the dark room. It was similar to the cell Jax and I were put in years ago, but smaller.

I clenched my jaw at the thought of Fallon putting a little girl down here. Anger began to burn in my veins like a spark being ignited.

But my anger diminished when I heard her frail voice crack as she whispered,

"H-How are y-you..." She trailed off.

I closed my eyes and let out a sigh before turning to face her.

"How am I not dead?" I said softly, a coy smile tugging at my lips.

She didn't respond, she just kept gaping at me with fearful eyes.

I don't know if that fear was towards Fallon, or if it was directed towards me.

I slowly rose to my feet, for there were no chains holding me down, and took cautious steps over to her. When I started to get closer, I watched as she tried to scoot away, making herself look as tiny as possible.

I stopped in my tracks and held my hands up in a form of surrender.

"Hey, it's okay. I'm not going to hurt you."

I squatted down, grunting a little as the skin on my back stretched, tugging at fresh wounds that needed time to heal.

My heart went out to this girl and when I looked at her, I saw myself in her eyes.

A girl who was terrified of this world, drowned in darkness, and shoved to the side like she never mattered. I saw the girl I used to be, but that wasn't me.

That was not Seraphina Whelan.

Her eyes flickered around the room, deep in thought, before she looked up at me with hope in her chocolate brown orbs.

"D-Do you p-promise?" She whispered.

My eyes softened as I blinked slowly. I gave her a reassuring smile and reached out my hand.

"I promise, little one. No one is going to hurt you ever again."

I said sternly and I meant it.

I wanted to protect this girl, she didn't deserve this life, she was far too young to be thrown into the deepest pits of hell.

She looked at my hand for a long moment before reaching out hesitantly.

Right after she gently placed her hand on mine, she fell into my arms. I wrapped my arms around her frail body protectively as she clung to me like I was her lifeline. She began to sob into my shoulder, her body shaking uncontrollably.