T W O

"Someone's approaching!" I heard a gruff voice warn as the telltale sound of shifting guns rattled above me. I stopped just below the looming, fortified iron walls and in front of a a pair of thick, rusted iron gates. "Identify yourself!"

     "Volker Hart."

     After a moment, a sharp whine of heavy metal grinding on aged hinges sang. The gates opened a crack and two men dressed in jet black bullet resistant vests appeared, their assault rifles trained at my vitals. I surrendered my pack to one of the guards, who immediately began rummaging through for any threats. The other approached cautiously and jammed a small handheld device to my neck, waiting for a digital chime to confirm my health.

     "He's alive," The guard called after the device beeped. "Welcome back to Carwyn."

     I nodded my thanks and threw my pack over my shoulder, slipping past them and into the sanctuary. The air was musky, as it usually was in this dull, stagnant fortress. This used to be the heart of Bloomington, Indiana, but in the desperation for safety and order among the hysteria we call the Panic, this safe-zone was secured by martial law for those who sought refuge during the Panic. That was the popular term for when the outbreak began.
     Ever since, it lost its respective name on the map and goes by Carwyn, after its defensive security and stability.

     I was one of the very few who had any courage at all to leave the protection behind the walls to scavange the ruined world for supplies. The rest of the people here were all farmers or cowards.

     I had hardly passed through the gates when a younger man in a thin, red plaid shirt joined me by my side, matching my pace.

     "Hey, Volker! You remember me, right?" He asked sheepishly. I gave him a look of indifference as he slowed to let me pass.

     "Oh, well that's okay." He called. "Do you think you could tell Roxy I said hello? And... and I think about her."

     I sighed. It was typical of Roxanne to have men swooning over her, especially since she was so inheritably affable among any of her peers. She'd always been that way for as long as I can remember, but when it amounted to the staggering mob of admirers she had, it truly disgusted me.
     I shook the thought from my head as I trudged through the grey, cracked streets of the safe-zone, averting my eyes from the stragglers that loitered the edges of the street. Unlike Roxanne, I understood how easily one could make enemies here.
Once the horrors of the ruined world were shut out behind walls and immediate fight or flight wasn't a priority, people often become far more crafty with their methods of survival. Scamming and theft tends to be the more common ones.

     I climbed up a flight of old, metallic steps that squealed under my weight towards the flat Roxanne and I were given and rapped loudly on the bleak door. After a moment, the knob slowly turned and the door creaked open, the hinges whining with age.

     "Meeaat..." A raspy voice groaned in the darkness behind the door. "Braaiins..."

     I kicked it open with my heel and let myself in, flashing an unamused glance at my sister.

      "Knock it off." I huffed, pulling off my pack and dropping it onto the cold, wood floor.

     "You're no fun." Roxanne rolled her eyes as she shut the door behind her. She was a whole head shorter than I with mahogany hair that flowed down to her chest like a sunset. She was the most colorful aspect of the entire flat-- hell maybe this whole safe-zone. Especially with her deep hazel eyes.
     Her vibrant smile and warm voice had a particular magnetism to them, the kind that drew you into her when she spoke or laughed.
"At the very least, Volker, you could have pretended to be startled." She added.

     "And give you the satisfaction? Hmph." I scoffed and dropped onto the couch, running my fingers through my hair before resting my arm over my eyes.

     "Long day?"

     "Mhm."

     "Get anything good?"

     "Mhm."

     "How about a pregnancy test?"

     I raised my arm to see her poor attempting to keep a straight face. When she finally caved and laughed to herself, she snatched up my pack off the ground.
     "Dorian and Fish invited us to join them on the group supply run tomorrow. Did you want to come along?"

     I yawned. "Along? So you've already said yes?"

     "Volker, I'm so cramped in here. I'll go insane if I don't do something exciting soon. Besides, it wouldn't hurt to get paid a little extra ration cards. Look, you get some rest, I'll pack us breakfast for the run."

     I groaned. My little sister's invitations always managed to be dictatorial-- turning one's no's into yes'. However, I did not hesitate to relax and let my mind slip into sleep.
That night brought me a surreal dream of home. Not here, but back in California with my mother, father and eldest brother. Back in the cozy stone bungalow draped with ivy with the garden below the front porch. Back when we were a family without a care other than the basketball game on that evening.

     The five of us just being a typical suburban family.

     I woke with a start, wide eyed as the cold, grey reality flooded my memory. I laid awake for some time, willing myself to fall back into that good dream.

     Roxanne was talking in the kitchen around the corner when I gave in and sat up.
"You awake?" She poked her head out. "You look refreshed. Dorian and Fish are already here."

     I grunted, rubbing the remnants of sleep out of my eyes as the three of them came out into the living room.

     Fish was a 10 year old boy with caramel toned skin, bright brown eyes and curly hair a little past his eyes. He had freckles peppered across his nose and cheeks and a scar over the bridge of his nose. He was given this name after being found on a boat by Dorian during the outbreak. The poor kid was only 5 when it all began and hardly remembered anything from before.

     Accompanied by him was Dorian, a rather tall, lanky character with hair straight blonde that ran down past his ears, much like a surfer near the west coast. His soft green eyes had a sleepy look to them, as if at any moment he could doze off. Of the population in Carwyn, he was among the more competent and respectful individuals. He always stood clear out of everyone's way and thought rationally.

     "Mornin'." Dorian grinned, waving. I nodded back at the two.
"The run is within the hour so Fish and I might head to the gates soon. Roxanne got your gear packed for you if you decide to join us."

     "This is gonna be the best run." Fish chirped, showing me a small grey case he had been holding. "I brought my telescope so I can see Venus."

     I glanced at my sister who was glowing with anticipation. I ran my fingers across my tired eyes and sighed.
"Wouldn't hurt for some extra ration cards."

     "Then it's a party." Dorian drummed his fingers on Fish's head. "Ready, Spud?"

     They all congregated to the door as I grabbed my pack and followed.

     "Fish!" Roxanne called, bounding down the stairs, "I'll race you!"

     The dynamic duo took off as Dorian and I shared an amused glance.
     I locked the door and we set off, back into world I hated so much.