Prologue

Ri

"Did you guys hear the news?" Nara said, sitting down on the grass next to me.

"You finally got someone into your dusty, cobwebbed pants?" Vane drawled lazily, as I shuffled to make room for her under the tree, our usual lunch spot. 

"You know, Vane," Nara said, shaking her head as she grabbed the sandwich I handed her, "that sounds like your problem, not mine." I chuckled just as Vane tossed a grape at her head and Kali turned onto her stomach, looking over at Nara.

"Hot male? Hot female?"

"One track mind, Kali, seriously." Lio mumbled from where he lay, next to me, eyes still closed.

"What?" She protested, "Is there any better news than having a bit of fresh blood in this place? We could do with a bit of diversity, it would liven things up. Not to mention widen the pool a little."

"'Widen the pool'?" Vane arched an eyebrow, popping grapes into his mouth.

"Well, sure as hell none of you weirdos are my mate." Kali gestured at us before turning back to Nara. "So go on - what's the big news?" Nara took a breath and looked around at us.

"Eli found his mate." 

Lio opened his eyes and looked at her.

"Eli, your brother, Eli?" Kali sat up, grass in her hair.

"Wow. That's huge." Tee said, his voice muffled through the sub he was wolfing down. "What happened? Who is it?"

"You remember that guy, Vox, from over in Clanholme? The Leader's nephew? Well, he was with the contingent when they visited last week and they scented each other immediately. The marks appeared, literally within seconds." Nara explained, taking a bite from her sandwich. "Mmmm, this is good, Ri, good call." I smiled as she continued. "You should have seen their faces, I don't know who was more shocked, they both looked like they'd been hit by a truck. For once, my darling brother was struck speechless. Although some of that might have been because Vox is one HOT piece of ass. Hey, don't roll your eyes at me!" She said as I made a face, " He's so beautiful, it's sinful." Kali nodded.

"Those guys at Clanholme are fi-iiiine. What?" She said as Vane threw more grapes at her, "You think you guys compare? Choice between you or them and I know who I'd do, V."

"You don't know what I can do, Kals." Vane winked at her, "These hands are skilled." Kali snorted.

"I bet they've had a lot of solo practice with your--"

"Want to find out just how practiced they are?" Vane purred back, smiling as he sucked a grape into his mouth suggestively. Nara ignored them and continued with her story. We were used to Vane and Kali.

"Anyway, they haven't done the Claiming yet, they're just spending some time to get to know each other. Vox seems decent, quieter than my brother, but then most people are."

"I suppose Eli will be moving to Clanholme?" Tee asked. Nara nodded as she swallowed a mouthful.

"Vox is part of the Clan Guard, he has to be at Clanholme. So Eli will be moving out of Pendragon, possibly as early as next week."

"That's kinda soon." Lio frowned.

"Vox is a little territorial about Eli, it seems. You know how idiot male mates get." She shrugged as she drank some water.

"Hey!" Tee protested, "Way to generalize, Nani!" She arched an eyebrow at him.

"Oh please, you know it's true. Males get so much more aggressive when it comes to their mate. Wait until it's your turn."