Realisation

I wiped down the treatment table, focused on cleaning off the blood and mud.

They'd taken him into one of the recovery rooms and Myers had ordered two Guard present at all times, in addition to Anders and one of the others - the others, who had turned out to be Damian's personal Guard. That would explain the waves of guilt that had been rolling off them all along - they'd have a lot to say back at Clanholme about Guard who hadn't protected the Clan Leader's son. 

Clan Leader's son. 

The instruments I was cleaning slipped from my shaking hands. 

I was glad I hadn't known beforehand, I'd have been so much more nervous working on him. This man was high up in the ranks, second only to the Clan Leader himself, he ran the Warriors, he'd been in the Guard since he was a teenager and would one day become the Clan Leader. 

And I'd been cavalierly sewing him up with cat gut.

I could almost hear Nara choking on her wine.

I turned my attention back to the clean up. And frowned. There was that odd smell again, a very faint one that I'd been scenting all night. I couldn't identify what it was and that was bugging me - as a Herbalist, my sense of smell was sharper than most Clan and it was annoying to scent something and not know what it was. It definitely came from the little group that had accompanied me from the forest, that much I knew. Oh well, it would come to me in time. 

I finished washing the instruments and soaked the soiled towels when I heard the door open. I turned to see Myers enter and shut the door behind him.

"Are they--"

"Settled in for the night, don't worry." He smiled at me. "You did well, Ri. And not just with treating him." I huffed out a breath. "They told me what happened, but I need you to go through it again. Do you feel upto it now?"

"Yes, sure." I shrugged as I went on to explain the events of the evening. He nodded.

"I need to document it in case there's ever a doubt, best for me to do it while the incident is still fresh in everyone's mind."

"Has word been sent to Clanholme?"

"Yes, they've been in touch with the Clan Leader and keeping him informed throughout. He's aware that Damian is not in danger and recovering." He hesitated. I looked at him enquiringly. "On discussion, it's been decided not to move Damian and risk infection or weakness. He'll be staying on here, under our care." He paused and looked me in the eye. "Under your care."

"Wait, what?" I stared at him. 

"You'll be ensuring his health and recovery while he's with us."

"No. Myers, no. I mean, they have better Healers up at Clanholme. I'm just the Herbalist." I said, looking at him pleadingly.

"Not 'just' the Herbalist, Ri, you stitched him up and treated him." He reminded me. "His Guard testified to that. And besides, Clan Leader requested you continue on."

"He did what?" I spluttered. I can't believe this. 

"He said he wanted the Healer who treated his son to be in charge of his recovery."

"But Miren---"

"Won't be sent back for this, not now that Damian is out of danger."

"But someone needs to check...this is the Clan's Son we're talking about here."

"I spoke to Miren. She endorsed your treatment and decisions, says she wouldn't have done anything differently." He leaned against the wall and gave me a considering look. "There's no imminent danger, right?"