Excuses

It was easy to admit he was in love to himself. It was hard to admit it to the person he was in love with. Obviously, Gumball wasn't gay. If he was, why would he be dating Penny at all? Darwin sighed loudly as he looked up at Ms. Simian, who was talking about whatever.  Darwin turned to his left and looked at Gumball, who looked back at him and smiled. Darwin smiled as he could feel a warm blush start to grow on his face. Darwin suddenly looked down at his desk and pulled out a sheet of paper, suddenly getting an idea.

'Heyo. I'm soo bored.'

Darwin scribbled on the paper, then passing it to Gumball. He watched as Gumball looked down at it, wrote something, looked at Ms. Simian, then passed it back to Darwin. Darwin could feel butterflies in his stomach as he carefully unfolded the note.

'Haha, same. The only fun thing to do here is look at Penny.'

Darwin pouted as he wrote down an '-_-' face and passed it back to Gumball, an annoyed expression on his face. He watched Gumball as his expression began to change a lot and he wrote something down. It was clearly taking him longer to write it down than the last time. He was also constantly erasing what he wrote. It took around maybe... 3 or 4 minutes before he finally gave back the note.

'What? Is something wrong? And please don't lie and say that everything's fine. I can tell when something's bothering you. Especially these past few days, you've just been a little... Different lately. Tell me what's bothering you.'

Darwin held his breath as he contemplated what to write down. He couldn't just tell him that he liked him during class, nor could he tell Gumball how much he hated Penny. That would just get Gumball mad at him. Darwin only sat there, looking at the note as he began to shift uncomfortably in his seat.  He stared at the paper and sighed, putting the pencil on it and writing.

'You see Gumball, it's just been that' Darwin stopped and looked at what he had written so far. He needed to come up with something that only Gumball would believe. 'Since I'm still a fish and all, I still have the same natural instincts that they do.' Darwin didn't even care if he was making sense or not. Anything made sense to Gumball. 'When fish get around 8th grade, they begin to go through a lot of emotions. I think that's just what's happening right now.'

Eh, good enough. Gumball would most likely fall for it. Darwin held his breath as he passed the note back to Gumball. Gumball took it quickly and read through it. He watched as Gumball frowned and handed the note back after writing in it again.

'Oh okay. That makes sense.' Darwin sighed as he rolled his eyes playfully, a smile on his face like always. 'Well, if you need anyone for anything, I'm here.'

Darwin blushed deeply as the bell rang, signalling that the school day had ended. Darwin walked over to Gumball when they both finished packing up. They looked into each other's eyes and smiled. Darwin could see out of the corner of his eye that Penny was walking towards them, so like any normal person, Darwin wrapped his arms around Gumball and pulled him into a warm embrace, smelling his scent as he did.

"Okay," Darwin said as he pulled away from the hug. "Let's go home now."

Gumball nodded as the two walked home, completely forgetting about Penny.